Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: motor guide trolling motor question

Post Thanks / Like

Default motor guide trolling motor question

I may not be in the right area, but I am looking for a little help with the foot pedal of my 43lb thrust motorguide trolling motor. The main switch with you push with your foot for the momentary movement needs some help. Sometimes when I push the button the motor firest. Sometimes when I push it, it doesn't. Does anyone have an old motor that is burned up, but could have a salvageable switch or pedal? Please get back to me.

mrwillis

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't find a used one you probably can get one here. MOTOR TECH - Trolling Motor Parts, Sales, Service and Repair
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I think they're fairly cheap new.

Post Thanks / Like

MrWillis, I had the same trouble with my trolling motor just like yours. I finally found a replacement switch and after I put it in I still had the same trouble. My trouble was the ground wire on the bottom of the foot petal. It had glazed over like a battery cable does. You might just check and make sure it's not something else before you go any further.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I'm with Jignjim ...

... pull & clean all the contacts that you can & then put some Di-electric Grease on them ..... THEN, if it still malfunctions, go the replacement route.

For around $5 ... you can get a 1/3oz tube, and use it on elec. contacts, trailer lights/sockets, battery connections, etc.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

that was happening to me once and the wires coming off the plug had worn thru from the ped going up and down and when it would quit working it was shorting. It was wild. Just changed all the terminals. Never had another problem. Well not related to that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty common problem with the motor guide foot switch. That micro switch under the gray plastic lever has a rubber weather boot over the plunger that will eventually wear out and the very top of the boot will fall out of the foot pedal assembly. When that happens, it leaves a gap that you sometimes can overcome with foot pressure. I have (in several cases) glued a piece of plastic under the gray foot lever to take up the gap left by the absent rubber top of the boot. Not the best fix but it will work until the switch itself goes bad (which may not happen for years). It's hard to get rain water to that part of the switch but if the foot control gets thoroughly soaked very often, best to replace the boot with a new one. Hope this helps........

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have an older motorguide, and that switch on my foot pedal was round and if you tapped it once it was on, then tap it again with foot for off. If that is the kind you have here, I went to an automotive store in local town and bought a head lights dimmer switch for like a 70 something model truck and it was the exact same thing.Cost me like 5 or 6 bux but was like 5 years ago.Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem as one of the other post said. The rubber boot rots off. I took the grey foot button off it has a round hole in the part that hit the button I took a piece of plastic from an ink pin that fit the hole tight trimed the length to where it pushed the button like it did when the rubber boot was on it mine works like new. Good Fishing Cub48.