Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tin Split Shot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tin Split Shot

Has anyone used the tin splitshot? What is your thought about it in comparison to lead split shot?

Bo Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it. It's bigger and not as soft as lead.

Post Thanks / Like

IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Vermont has a lead law and all split shot has to be non-lead. I forgot and bit one to close it the d****d thing chipped my tooth.

They don't weigh as much and you have to use twice as many to do the job of lead ones. If you can find ones made of tungsten or the Ultra-Steel brand ones you'll be better off. MAKE SURE AND USE NEEDLE NOSE TO CLOSE THEM!!!!!!!

Fatman
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

twice as much to equal lead could be a benefit. I use TIN to make horse head jigs, so you get to use a 1/4oz sized Tin head to equal 1/8 in lead. Tin is shiny and bright and will never lose it's luster nor do I have to paint them. Why mess up perfection? Only draw back is for the 1/32 and 1/16 in tin I don't do, Just the 1/8 sized (=1/16), 1/4 (=1/8) and 3/8 (lil over 1/4 oz) in TIN.. I buy all the other tin stuff I want. I don't use tin SS as we are allowed to use lead and I well I just don't use split shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. We can use lead here in NC. But I noticed a lot of the tackle stores and wallyworld have started carrying a lot of the tin weights. I was curious about a comparison between the two.

Have a good one.

Bo Bryant