Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on inputting GPS coordinates

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on inputting GPS coordinates

I picked up a list of Coordinates from the Corp yesterday listing the brushpiles that myself and several others sunk back in October. There are two sets per pile, one is X and Y, the other is W and N. My I finder uses N and W. One example of the printed corps coords is W -95 32 35.8, N- 36 30 58.0. Now, went exactly to those coords and it shows me being about a half mile onto dry land. These brushpiles are located in Spencer Creek on Lake Oologah, Ok. I have installed into my GPS Lowrances enhanced lake map of Oologah. It has been fairly accurate when I am on the water as far as showing the bank of the lake in conjunction with my position. This is the second time I have tried to input coordinates from the corp and have experienced the same thing happening twice now.
    My GPS reads as follows...N 36 30.580 W 95 32.353
    Notice that the decimal is in a different location from what the corps coords are? Is this a different type or style of coords from what I have? If so, is there a conversion table?
    I don't think the enhanced map is that far off. I have been in Spencer Creek before, and the GPS showed my boat in proper position with the shoreline.
    Am I wrong? Or do you think the corp has printed some bunk coords??
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

The coordinates may be in degrees, minutes, seconds. Try dividing the last number by 60 to get a decimal equivalent.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Craig;

You are using a different Location Format than what the CORP coordinates are in. Go to the "Set Up" menu in your GPS and find the "Location" tap and go to "Location Format". Then change it to match the CORP's format - you can tell by the placement of the . and the ‘ - they have to be the same. After you've entered the coordinates you can change it back to the format you are using.

If you have any trouble give me a call - I'm just hangin round the house this morning.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jerry, I will try it. I have to take 3 year old into dentist at 10. After that, I might just bundle her up for a bamboo sinking party. It's supposed to get up to 55 here today, but, thunderstorms could be moving in this afternoon and bigger chance of them this evening. I have to get the bamboo in the water. I am thinking about sinking them in a spot that might produce some nice fish come this June. (CAST Championship Tourney) I will try to change format on the I Finder and input the coords again.
    By the way, I thought of a way that you and Darryl could score some bamboo and get paid for it. There is alot of it in the Village, and I am betting that some people would pay to have it removed. Just a thought. But, a couple of flyers posted in the area, might pan out to some wintertime $$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo Jerry, got it working now! It's back on the water and now the work begins. I have 90 coords to enter, then, another 75 that were placed in Blue Creek last year. Time to get the AA charger out.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Craig:

Do you have a data cable to hook your GPS up to your 'puter? If so you can download Easy.GPS and enter the waypoints on your computer and then transfer them to the GPS. It's also a good program to save your waypoints on your 'puter in case something happens to your GPS or you want to send some to someone else.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Next question.....Does anyone know of a website, that all coordinates can just be typed in, then downloaded into a memory card?

Post Thanks / Like

Doh, lol, didn't refresh to see your message. lol Answer is no, but, I can take out the card and input stuff from the PC to the card. That should work huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I have installed easygps and input all the waypoints into the easy gps program. I now have to figure out how to convert them over to the standard that the I finder uses before I stick them on my mmc card. I installed the trial version of (NOT so) experteasygps, and just made me brain do circles. I might have to go back to scrolling to the waypoint and marking them one at a time. sigh.........