PDA

View Full Version : When fish bite do they leave a scent on the lure?

bjoyce66
03-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I use mainly jigs and I was wondering why it always seems like when your body is all torn up from bites and you throw a brand new one on the same color and everything you dont seem to get as many bites. I was wondering when a fish bites if it secretes anything onto the lure that the fish are attracted to?

Frank C
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
i dont know, but i do know that when i catch a pike i change jigs.

jimmydee1
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
It may be that the 'new' jig has more of YOUR scent on it than anything the previous customers have left behind. Just sayin--------

Cane Pole
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Careful of that fish DNA. I been watching NCIS. Just saying.

fishinRod
03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
its called fish breath

bjoyce66
03-04-2010, 03:24 PM
In all seriousness it does seem like that when I change jigs after one is torn up I put another on and get no where near the bites.

frank lawhead
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
It may be that the 'new' jig has more of YOUR scent on it than anything the previous customers have left behind. Just sayin--------

Isn,t that why we buy crappie nibbles ???

Wannabe...
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Nah, but some drool more than others.

Wannabe...

wwwUncle
03-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Nah, but some drool more than others.

Wannabe...

You are referring to fishermen of course?? :D

Tiger
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I hate to put on a new jig. Seems to make a difference to me. I will normally rub a little fish slim on a new one. I don't know that it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

jimmydee1
03-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Frank C check you PM.

back lash
03-04-2010, 05:38 PM
The next time you catch a crappie,rub your finger on the roof of it's mouth. Smell your finger. to answer your question...YES it does leave a scent. Depending on the time of year,and what they are eating in that particular body of water..the scent could be very strong. i am not saying that it helps that it smells like fish breath, I dont know if it does or not. It might be what was mentioned before, it might be your scent that is throwing them off...B.L.

creekslick
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I fishe with a guy once that would rub hs jig on the crappie's belly everytime he caught one. Don't know if it did any good or not but he catches a buch of fish.

whackmaster
03-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I've believed this for a long, long time now...if I can get one fish to the boat I think I get more bites on that same jig/bait I think there must be something that makes other fish want to hit it more easily.

Allan
03-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I always rub a new jig on the first fish I catch, slime it out real good.
It may cover up our scent more than anything.
I went back and read the whole thread, I see others have already stated this sorry...

river slabs are better
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
its the exact opposite for trout. when we catch a trout we are sure to use that exact same powerbait. The powerbait that has caught fish to the powerbait that hasnt usually wins about 3:1

Bobfish11
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
i hate when my jig tale gets to worn to use..its one of those myths that is hard to prove one way or the other...its all about confidence..i think you could catch fish on a gasoline soaked jig if you truly believed it worked...

Ken Jones
03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I think that crappie leave some type of smell on the tube. When you change I think that a person may have a smell on hands from using the toilet or peeing. Maybe before you change tubes you should wash your hands in lake or river. Ad a scent of your own on tube like crappie niblets bye Berkley. Good luck.

NIMROD
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Don't know about that but if you catch one put your jig back asap in the same spot. Crappie tend to get aroused by the comotion of you catching one of them. Like a pack of dogs and a bone. One alone may not show much interest, but get one interested and the rest seem to notice .;)

brazman
03-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I've heard that, as an alternative to putting on artificial scent, like nibbles, to rub your jig over the sides of the first fish you catch. May lure them in, may just cover up your own scent, but supposedly it's one of those ole timer secrets.