Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shenango Reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shenango Reservoir

Looking for information on how the fishing is at Shenango. Fished there Sept 23 and although the lake was high it wasn't that dirty but the "catching" was terrible--5 fish total -- two boats. Have fished here every week since May and the "catching" was great --what happened?? I would like to try it again on October 8 but would like some information concerning the "catching" since Sept 23 -- has it picked up. Also, is the lake down and is the upper launch open. I drive about 75 miles one way to get there so I would like some encouraging words before coming up. Any information would be appreciated. -- By the way I fished Lake Arthur and Lake Wilhelm last week and the catch was really slow--only had 6 keepers at Arthur and 12 at Lake Wilhelm.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi fishman, and welcome to Crappie.com and The Pa boards. I live near Shenango and can tell you that Mahaney and Golden Run are still closed to launch, but the others are open. I would use the main launch at the campgrounds. The water earlier in the week was still about 7 feet above summer fill. But it should be further down now. The upper launch, I think you are referring to is Parkers Landing? It is open again. I haven't been on the lake for a bit, but two friends are fishing the lake today, as they called me for advice on where to fish. I hope they do good. The fish should be moving towards shore with this cooling off, so try going shallower, like in the spring.
    We are starting a crappie club, and maybe you would be interested in coming to our meeting on October 10th, at 2 pm on Lake Arthur. Many of us will be fishing the morning. When you click on the Pa boards look up to the top and you will find the link for Keystone Crappie Association. This will be our second meeting, and all input and ideas to make it the best club it can be are appreciated. Keith

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished the lake this morning and did alright. Kept 9 crappies 10"- 15". Just 1 was 15 but 3 were 12. Threw back 1/2 dz more smaller fish. Only fished about 2 hours. I launched at Mahaney and went up-lake to the swimbeach area. I got them in 15ft water on jigs and nibbles. I had to change jig colors after every couple fish. I used 4 diffrent rods rigged with diffrent weights and colors of jigs. They just wouldn't keep hitting one color. Fished one rod till i couldn't get a hit, put that down and tried a diffrent one. Keep changing colors, not spots. The fish are there, give them what they want. Didn't try minnows. Gonna take my brother out in the morning. I'll post results. For info on the lake and which boat launches are open call 724-962-4384.

Post Thanks / Like

Chaunc, good going. The guys that called me, I told them to try the swim beach area. They might have been near you, lol. I hope they did as good as you did. So they opened Mahaney back up now too, the lake must be lower now. It was still listed as being closed mid week. I asked if they saw a red car in the lot, at the park launch, and they said no. By mid week, my truck will be hopefully repaired finally. Then I can tow my boat again. Are you ready for the outing at Lake Arthur. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks For Info

S10 & Chaunc- thanks for the information--maybe you could post something a little closer to Friday if you have any more information.

I have been a viewer of this board for over a year and it has been pretty informative. I have been following your club formation and I may join you at Lake Arthur -- the only problem is that if it is a nice day 528 can be a zoo. I fished there last Monday and the fishing was pretty slow.

Thanks again for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Keith, i fished shenango today with my brother. He said i can use the motor. Only one problem... he's on day shift... i'm on afternoon. I wont be able to get it till saturday at the soonest. I may not be able to follow you down, but i'll try to get there by 2:. I should find out more as the week goes on. I'll let you know by friday. We kept 52 fish for his freezer, since he didn't have any fish at all. About 15 were gills but the rest were slab and i mean slab, crappies. We threw everything back that was under 10"s and still kept 37. 3 were 14". Got most from the swimbeach area. Ran into one of my icefishing buddies. He sat on the point, hammering slabs, for 3 hours. My brother and i fished 4 spots and he was still hammerin em. I know he did okay too.

Post Thanks / Like

chaunc, the 10th is Sunday, so you getting his motor Saturday will work, for you to meet us Sunday in Mercer. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

What time you guys pullin out? I still haven't caught up to my brother yet. Playing phone tag......