Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Respooling spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Respooling spinning reels

What would you say is the correct way to put new line on spinning reels. Do you take the line off of the end or do you respool straight on.

Post Thanks / Like

I lay the spool flat on the floor, label facing up. Just how I was taught. I was taught that you spool a baitcaster straight on, line going on the same way it came off.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

And if you are getting line twist, try flipping the spool to the opposite side.

Post Thanks / Like

Just gotta agree lay the spool on the floor and flip if it starts twisting.

But!!! Here's another one, as you spool the line on run it through a few pieces of damp paper towel and it will help stretch it and take the powder off of it.

If you spool dry you'll notice the powder on your finger using the damp paper towel gets it off.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

counter clockwise

Post Thanks / Like

Watch it! Some reels - Shimano's in particular - tell you to spool line on by putting a pencil through the line spool and winding it on just as you would a baitcaster. Has something to do with their anit-twist mechanism. So read your reel's instructions.

Also, I always strip off about 1 to 2 casts worth of the old line, then tied onto that before winding the new stuff on. (Uni to uni or blood knot works fine.) The old line used like this as a backing can save you big bucks in the long haul.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Watch it! Some reels - Shimano's in particular - tell you to spool line on by putting a pencil through the line spool and winding it on just as you would a baitcaster. Has something to do with their anit-twist mechanism. So read your reel's instructions.

Also, I always strip off about 1 to 2 casts worth of the old line, then tied onto that before winding the new stuff on. (Uni to uni or blood knot works fine.) The old line used like this as a backing can save you big bucks in the long haul.
    Great tip on leaving the old line on as backing...this will save you big bucks when respooling lots of reels before season !
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm having a heck of a time. HT Masterpiece 1750a I believe it is. I've tried three different lines, and two different methods. The worst twisted up mess I've ever had with a reel. Granted I've not fished with but one other spinning reel and this will be my last, if I can't get it figured out. Stren straight off the spool, WM hi vis #6 spooled both ways - straight off and on the floor(both sides), and cajun. All three lines are a no-go at this station. I guess the only other thing I can try is to let out a bunch at the lake, cut it off the spool, and wind it up. If that doesn't work, it's coming off the rod and taking a drink.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I pull the line off the spool out into the yard to a pre-measured spot....then reel the line onto the reel...

It does the same thing as pulling your line behind the boat with no lure to untwist the line....

Guaranteed no twists....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread. I'm having a heck of a time. HT Masterpiece 1750a I believe it is. I've tried three different lines, and two different methods. The worst twisted up mess I've ever had with a reel. Granted I've not fished with but one other spinning reel and this will be my last, if I can't get it figured out. Stren straight off the spool, WM hi vis #6 spooled both ways - straight off and on the floor(both sides), and cajun. All three lines are a no-go at this station. I guess the only other thing I can try is to let out a bunch at the lake, cut it off the spool, and wind it up. If that doesn't work, it's coming off the rod and taking a drink.
    Sounds to me like you are overfilling the reel.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast