PDA

View Full Version : Respooling spinning reels

oldwun
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
What would you say is the correct way to put new line on spinning reels. Do you take the line off of the end or do you respool straight on.

feelay
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I lay the spool flat on the floor, label facing up. Just how I was taught. I was taught that you spool a baitcaster straight on, line going on the same way it came off.

steelslinger86
03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
And if you are getting line twist, try flipping the spool to the opposite side.

Fatman
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Just gotta agree lay the spool on the floor and flip if it starts twisting.

But!!! Here's another one, as you spool the line on run it through a few pieces of damp paper towel and it will help stretch it and take the powder off of it.

If you spool dry you'll notice the powder on your finger using the damp paper towel gets it off.

Fatman

PBUG2009
03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
counter clockwise

Crestliner08
03-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Watch it! Some reels - Shimano's in particular - tell you to spool line on by putting a pencil through the line spool and winding it on just as you would a baitcaster. Has something to do with their anit-twist mechanism. So read your reel's instructions.

Also, I always strip off about 1 to 2 casts worth of the old line, then tied onto that before winding the new stuff on. (Uni to uni or blood knot works fine.) The old line used like this as a backing can save you big bucks in the long haul.

whackmaster
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Watch it! Some reels - Shimano's in particular - tell you to spool line on by putting a pencil through the line spool and winding it on just as you would a baitcaster. Has something to do with their anit-twist mechanism. So read your reel's instructions.

Also, I always strip off about 1 to 2 casts worth of the old line, then tied onto that before winding the new stuff on. (Uni to uni or blood knot works fine.) The old line used like this as a backing can save you big bucks in the long haul.

Great tip on leaving the old line on as backing...this will save you big bucks when respooling lots of reels before season !

talltimber
03-03-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm having a heck of a time. HT Masterpiece 1750a I believe it is. I've tried three different lines, and two different methods. The worst twisted up mess I've ever had with a reel. Granted I've not fished with but one other spinning reel and this will be my last, if I can't get it figured out. Stren straight off the spool, WM hi vis #6 spooled both ways - straight off and on the floor(both sides), and cajun. All three lines are a no-go at this station. I guess the only other thing I can try is to let out a bunch at the lake, cut it off the spool, and wind it up. If that doesn't work, it's coming off the rod and taking a drink.

rnvinc
03-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I pull the line off the spool out into the yard to a pre-measured spot....then reel the line onto the reel...

It does the same thing as pulling your line behind the boat with no lure to untwist the line....

Guaranteed no twists....

feelay
03-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm having a heck of a time. HT Masterpiece 1750a I believe it is. I've tried three different lines, and two different methods. The worst twisted up mess I've ever had with a reel. Granted I've not fished with but one other spinning reel and this will be my last, if I can't get it figured out. Stren straight off the spool, WM hi vis #6 spooled both ways - straight off and on the floor(both sides), and cajun. All three lines are a no-go at this station. I guess the only other thing I can try is to let out a bunch at the lake, cut it off the spool, and wind it up. If that doesn't work, it's coming off the rod and taking a drink.

Sounds to me like you are overfilling the reel.

jimfish
03-03-2010, 08:18 AM
I take the spool off the reel with a berkly line stipper. I made a mandrel that will that fits all my reels, insert mandrel in a chargebal drill hang line spool on a holder and and and fill em up takes a minute. Just filled up 14 reels in about 45 min.

PBUG2009
03-03-2010, 08:18 AM
if you get line twist put a swivel on you line. tie a piece of line around a tree fix the swivel to it and start backing up. go back far as you want, then start reeling it back in. not only does the swivel cut down on twist, but you also tighten your line up..

CrappiePappy
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Let's not go throwing line into our waterways ;)

It sounds like you may be doing one of two things .... either, as "Feelay" says, overfilling the spool ... or ... the pound test is too heavy for the size of the reel's spool.

You don't want to fill a spinning reel spool to the edge of the lip ... leave about 1/8" of clearance.
If you're HTM 1750 is a small spool UL reel ... 6lb test may be too stiff to stay down.

If you open the bail and the line jumps off in bunches .... that could be a sign of either/both of the above problems. ;)

... cp :cool:

CrappieKillerJigs
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
find a shop with a spool mich. and let them spool your reels....hand spooling you can on get 75-100 yards per reel where they can get 150-200 yards per reel with no line twist

Crestliner08
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
One more tip, if you're still having trouble re-spooling your reels, due to line twisting as you fill, try this:

Fill the bath tub with cold water (coldest out of your tap). Drop the spool you are filling FROM, in the tub. Start to fill your reel, while maintaining tension on the line just ahead of the reel. As the twist starts to form, it will automatically move, turn and twist the floating spool to compensate.

Another very popular method is just to forget about it! Yep! Then, the next time you go fishing, let your line out behind the boat (no lure, knot or snap on the end.....just plain line). A full cast length or more preferably, as your boat moves along. Hold that length and run on a fast troll for a minute or two - and then retrieve your line and tie on your lure. That line will be as twist free as is humanly possible for any spool filling at this point.

Hope something works for you! :)

yikess
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I let the guys behind the counter at Bass Pro do it while I shop.

deathb4disco
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
The better the reel, the less of a problem this is. I use mid-range Diawa and Shimano reels, and line twist is just not an issue. All my reels have some kind of anti-line twist device built into them. I would not buy a reel that did not have this feature.

Ranger690
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
5 years and counting and I ain't no better at it. I don't believe there is a good way of getting the line on a spinning reel correctly.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/4000-spooling-spinning-reels-kill-me-now-please.html

Dayton

deathb4disco
03-03-2010, 03:50 PM
5 years and counting and I ain't no better at it. I don't believe there is a good way of getting the line on a spinning reel correctly.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/4000-spooling-spinning-reels-kill-me-now-please.html

Dayton

:confused:

All I can tell you is see my post #17.

talltimber
03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Negatory on the overfill. Six pound too heavy? Maybe, maybe not. Piece of crap reel twisting line, probably. I bought it on recommendation of the store owner/worker, who shall remain nameless.
Come on, pappy. Of course I would strip the line back off of it and put it in the appropriate disposal container for recycling. Actually, I would probably bring the reel back home. I think I may get too much satisfaction out of smashing it with a hammer to just throw it away.

talltimber
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM

Dayton

:D :D That was some funny stuff.

Bo Bryant
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
feelay does it the way I was taught as well. But no matter how you put it on, sometimes you will have to deal with a loop. But in the big scheme of things, what is that? After all, when you are on the water, you have been blessed!

Bo Bryant

CrappiePappy
03-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Negatory on the overfill. Six pound too heavy? Maybe, maybe not. Piece of crap reel twisting line, probably. I bought it on recommendation of the store owner/worker, who shall remain nameless.
Come on, pappy. Of course I would strip the line back off of it and put it in the appropriate disposal container for recycling. Actually, I would probably bring the reel back home. I think I may get too much satisfaction out of smashing it with a hammer to just throw it away.

... I knew you wouldn't really be throwing that line in the lake :D
I just had to say that, for those "other" people that might not think negatively of doing it ;)

... cp :cool:

Rowdy
03-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Pappy check your mail!!!
Rowdy