Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower unit problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit problems

Last edited by mduncan62; 01-24-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any mechanical knowledge at all you can do this job with ease.Just take your time and lay all your parts out. And follow step by step.While you are in there if you havent had already done you might consider replacing the water pump impeller.You will be there already anyways and if the motors got some age on it its well worth the cost of the impeller.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the manuel it is more detailed.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Kits don't come with instructions. A factory manual is your best bet. Clymers ans Seloc are OK but you have to go thru them to see what applies to your motor. Sounds like your seals under the impeller need replacing. What make motor is it? Year, size? BTW, you can get good advice from people that do this stuff for a living here http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Also go check out the forums on www.bassboatcentral.com there is message board for each brand of motor.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

You can also go to the marinedoctor.com It's a pretty good source for info. and I believe you can order parts from their too.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    would changing the oil and putting the muffs on and running water through it, then checking the oil be a better way to diagnose the actual leak? Or is it just better to get the whole seal kit and replace it?
    There are only 2 places water can get in, assuming the lower unit has no cracks. Thru the seals below the water pump and the seals on the prop shaft. Since you were hearing air coming out of the top, that sort of points to the water pump seals. If it is the water pump seals you should be able to tell using the muffs. If it were me, I would replace all of them. If one set has gone bad, there is a good chance the others might go soon. What kind of motor do you have?

I just realized I have been butting in on the Mo. board. I appologize for that. I just seen someone was having motor problems and try to help.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard IBNFSHN, glad to have ya hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL IBNFSHN we will let ya off the hook this time. Nah just stop by any time.:p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    It's a 94 Mercury 40HP. Don't worry, we are nice in Mo. We'll take advice, help, and humor from any state.

Question: when people say a cracked lower unit, are they talking about a crack that would be visible from looking at the outside of the unit?
    Normally you could see it or at least see oil or water oozing out after using the motor. Usually caused by hitting something under the water. BTW, if you go here http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...e/homepage.asp
    and put in your serial no you can see some exploded views of your motor. Hope that helps.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast