Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any suggestions with sinking structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any suggestions with sinking structure

I have a lake close to home that I would like to enhance with dropping structure. I mainly will be using 5 gallon buckets with bamboo. The lake is a flood control lake, so it is drawn down very low this time of year. I would like to place some attractors that can be fished during the winter pool. Can anyone give me some suggestions on where the best place would be to place my structure out to fish for crappie during the winter? And can I expect the fish to find and use the structure if I'm just now placing it out? My thinking would be to stay in the main lake off deep points or close to the river channel, but I'd like some other opinions especially if anyone is stuck fishing with the same type scenario. I know it's going to be a lot of work sinking stuff to fish both pools, it will almost be like putting it out in two different lakes. Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Need some more info about which lake you fish. I fish Pickwick in North Alabama. The lake is down to around 410 ft from 414 ft at full pool. All of our attractors are deep enough to fish at both pools. 95% of all our condos are on the edge of a creek channel. The other 5% are on flats between the channel and the banks. Anywhere from 15 to 28 ft deep. Look for creek channel bends with 10 to 20 ft of water on top. Drop your condos along the edge of the channel. I like to use an H pattern right on top of the channel. Drop two bouys and put two condos in front of each bouy. Then put two behind the bouys with one in the middle. Look under articles section, Jerry Blake has a good article about bambo condos. Hope this helps.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

badbrad,i too live on a flood control res., Right now its tuff to put attractors in due to super low levels!! If I wanted to put them in 15 ft of water now most places they would either be on dry ground or show!!Hope you dont have the same problem. Also watch putting them directly in current- when COE pulls water it will move them!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply guys....the lake here is drawn down over 25 feet. Heaven forbid you get a lot of rain......last year at this time the lake was above summer pool but by the end of January they managed to get back down. That much fluctuation has to be tough on the fishing. I tried anyway with dismal results, but I had not put any attractors out. Guess I'll just have to do some experimenting. I can fish this lake (Barren River) often since it's only 35 minutes from home or just make the haul to Kentucky or Barkley. Obviously the cost of that will effect how often I would be able to go. Nonetheless, I'll give it a try. I have a drywall foreman who gives me all his discarded buckets, they even clean em out for me. I've got over 100 in my garage right now and he's bringing me a couple hundred more over the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

BadBrad to do that many you gonna spend some bank even if using BOO. I wish I could find a free supply of used PVC or some type of plastic tubing here in Jackson, Miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Sac-a-lait....your right. I expect to, but hopefully the returns from the money and time invested will be wothwhile. I've scavenged some construction sites and have been given scap pvc and left over pieces of gas line, but it's hard to be there at the right time to get the scraps.

Post Thanks / Like

Check with plumbing supply dealers. They always have a pile of pvc the is cracked, smashed, and virtually cannot sell. They will usually give it away.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

WidowMaker Guest

For pvc you need to check with landscaping businesses and golf courses. Landscapers do a lot of irrigation work. Golf courses use pvc for irrigation and usually have refuse areas where they haul their scrap materials to.