Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig tipped with a minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig tipped with a minnow

Can someone tell me or show me just exactly what kind of rig you are using when doing this. I cant keep them minnows on my jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, ab. How are you hooking the minnows? If the jig hook has a decent barb on it, and you hook the minnow up, through the lower and upper lip, they should stay on fairly well.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

hook them thru the lips.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Hookem in the Lip.

Juiced Up Baits Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff
    Mike's Custom Crappie Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use gamakatsu 1/16 jig heads and they really don't have a big barb. Usually hook em through the eyes when using just a hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I hook behind the eyes, as well, if I am vertical fishing the minnows on a hook, but through the eyes will make the jig hang oddly. Try it through the lips on the jig heads. They don't have to have much of a barb. Should work well for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey speck-tackler were do you fish?

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ab824 View Post
    I use gamakatsu 1/16 jig heads and they really don't have a big barb. Usually hook em through the eyes when using just a hook.
    They will not run right hooked through the eyes, you need to hook em in the lips so they can swim around.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Actually, mine don't .....

... get hooked "thru the lips" --- they get hooked from under the lower jaw (in the V of the throat area) and then up thru the nose area (usually between the nostrils). :p

if you literally hooked them thru the "lips" ... they wouldn't stay on very well. Just be careful when bringing the hook up thru the top of their face ... you don't want to bring the hook up between the eyes area, since you'd probably run the hook point thru their little brains (and kill'em dead :o ) :D

... cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    ... get hooked "thru the lips" --- they get hooked from under the lower jaw (in the V of the throat area) and then up thru the nose area (usually between the nostrils). :p

if you literally hooked them thru the "lips" ... they wouldn't stay on very well. Just be careful when bringing the hook up thru the top of their face ... you don't want to bring the hook up between the eyes area, since you'd probably run the hook point thru their little brains (and kill'em dead :o ) :D

... cp
    Same way I do it when using jigs. That...or I'll bring the hook up thru the V and come out on either side of their head around their jaw area....if this makes sense.:o This holds the minnow on very well (better than the lips) and you aint sticking any vitals in the head.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast