Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for crappiepappy and anyone who wants to add their advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? for crappiepappy and anyone who wants to add their advice?

Crappiepappy, what would you say would be the better boat? The G3 Eagle 175, or the Crestliner cx1754, given that the dealers were equal in comparrison.

Post Thanks / Like

Id marry a sea ark.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I like the Crestliner

One of the guys from Southern IN has a Crestliner boat. I fished in that boat with him this spring and it was very roomy and had a good nice ride. He told me it was the Crestliner CVX182 which was built in 2000. Not sure where he purchased the boat but I would think it was near where he lives. He lives in Georgetown IN right across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY.

I am not familar with the G3 boats myself so I will let others speak on that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Crappiepappy, what would you say would be the better boat? The G3 Eagle 175, or the Crestliner cx1754, given that the dealers were equal in comparrison.
    Regards,

Moose1am

fishinboat Guest

me and my ol solidcraft have had a long affair. she cant help it though, after all she is 6' wide and 17' long with 40 hp that hasnt failed. best of all she is paid for

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hard to say Crappieseeker ...

The Crestliner is a wider boat and will hold a 90HP - the G3 is 5" longer and 4" narrower and holds a 75HP..... so they aren't really "apples to apples" comparable.
    If the dealers are reputable, within a reasonable driving distance, have good mechanics, and are willing to "deal" against each other -- you may want to dicker between them and see which one can come forward with the best deal. I would think the pricing would be somewhat higher for the Crestliner, if only for the bigger motor -- so you may want to consider if you need the bigger outfit, or not. Storage space is a consideration, too.
    I've never fished from either, nor rode in either - but the Crestliner is 800lb of boat (at 17ft long and 74" wide) ... which sounds a little light to me. Are you looking at the CX1754 ... or CX1754 Crappie ? (same boat - different layout). I like the layout of the G3, especially the bench seat ... but that has a drawback to it. With a bench seat, you'd have to step on the seat or seat back to get to the rear pedestal seat. That is going to add severe wear and tear on the bench seat vinyl.
    If I had to choose between the two ... it would depend on how far and fast I wanted/had to go, and how big the lakes were that I was going to use it on. The Eagle 175 has a 21gal tank ... and with a 75HP 4stroke Yammy, you wouldn't be stopping for gas very often ..LOL!! The CX1754 has a 21gal tank, but the CX1754 Crappie only has a 12gal tank ... since they both can hold a 90HP (and I suggest getting the max HP a boat would hold), then the Crappie version comes up a little short in that dept. .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

The 2005 G3 Eagle 175 is rated for a 90 hp also. The 04 was rated 75 hp. So the horsepower is the same on both boats. Is a 21 gallon tank good for a 90 hp? I really like the layout of the G3. I think the Crestliner runs almost 2 grand more than the G3. I think the Triton boat is good quality, but I dont like the layout and they are overpriced simply because of their name.

Post Thanks / Like

crappieseeker - sounds like you already have your decision made. :D Or, at least I think I know which way you are looking.

I've never been a horsepower freak, but look more at what horsepower I need to move a boat with all my necessary equipment. You've been comparing horsepower ratings on two different boats, yet I haven't seen any weights listed for each of them. How much does each boat weigh? Then figure in how much additional weight you will put in the boat (batteries, tackle, anchors, your own weight - it adds up). My 17' Fisher gets a top end speed of 40 mph, loaded w/a 60 HP outboard. I have a friend that runs a 20' rig w/a 90 hp outboard that tops at 42 mph - whole lotta extra $$$$$ if your just looking at HP #'s. May want to take a close look at what you "need" in an outboard.

IMO - there's something about a Crestliner that makes them look cheap to me. i've fished out of a few in the past, and they are very nice boats, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's just like closing the door on a car - you don't want to hear that metal chime, you're looking for a good solid "thump". And for an extra $2000.00, I'd be looking real close as to where that is coming from. Good luck finding the one for you.

Ask the dealer(s) for a test drive too - that may help you in your decision.
    Last edited by Big Zig; 10-04-2004 at 12:02 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey "seeker" ....

The 2005 G3 Eagle 175 is rated for a 90 hp also. The 04 was rated 75 hp. So the horsepower is the same on both boats. Is a 21 gallon tank good for a 90 hp? I really like the layout of the G3. I think the Crestliner runs almost 2 grand more than the G3. I think the Triton boat is good quality, but I dont like the layout and they are overpriced simply because of their name.
    I priced a Triton 17ft w/90 Merc at a local dealer ........$17000+ .....it is a nice outfit, but for that money I could be in a Triton fiberglass Bass boat with a larger motor (from another dealer).
    Do the G3 & Crestliner dealers say that the 90HP ratings are for 4stroke motors ? They are somewhat heavier than their 2stroke versions ... and I've heard people say that a jackplate is necessary to get optimum performance out of the 4strokes. But - that could just be the tournament minded guys trying to get every mph out of their rigs ....LOL!!
    A 21gal tank of gas is necessary for a 90HP 2stroke ....... but is just "gravy" if you have a 4stroke. I run two 6gal tanks on my 15.5ft ProBass w/75HP 2stroke Yamaha - and I get in a full day of runnin & gunnin, with gas left over. But, a larger capacity fuel tank means you can fill up at a gas station (when/where gas is cheaper) and not have to pay the heavily marked up gas at a Marina.
    If the Crestliner runs 2K more, with the same size motor ... I'd seriously consider the G3 a better deal. What price range are we talking here ? (if you don't mind telling). .............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry-Southern Indiana

Here's my take crappieseeker. The crestliner boat your looking at compared to the g3 is smaller than what I have. Mine is 18'2" with a 95" beam most of the way forward unlike xpress or several other brands mentioned here lately. It also has a 35 gallon tank and is rated for a 150 motor which it has. This may be a bigger boat than your looking for. You might want to look at the fishhawk line of boats from crestliner. They are cheaper in price than mine yet they have a 91" beam on most models. If you've ever fished out of a wide boat in all kinds of weather and water conditions you'll soon appreciate having one. No subsitute for size. My boat is very stable loaded or unloaded. Top speed is around 60. Plenty fast for me. Two huge livewells and plenty of storage. What really sold me on Crestliner over Lund was how they were constructed plus my boat is a low profile boat and doesn't sit out of the water real high like other compareable boats. Another plus in my opinion. If anyone could see a cut away of the hulls compared to all the other makes of aluminum boats you'd see the difference. Crestliners are built like tanks and have a warranty to back it up. My boat is 1,300 pounds dry. Not excally a light boat. And it has handled every kind of rough water conditions so far with ease. All welded hull I might add. With the boat shows starting up around the first of the year if you can wait a little longer you'll probably get a better deal than now. Those guys will be real hungery by then. Take your time and research all the brands carefully. Many differences between them. I bought my boat at pearsons marina in Indiana. They have a web site. Katrina will not be beat on any deal. Give her a try and find out for yourself. Whatever you decide on you'll have to live with for years unless your rich. Good luck on your decision. Ain't looking for boats fun? I took over three months looking before deciding on mine. Get trailer brakes on whatever you buy. They are inexpensive and worth every penny.

Take care and good fishing. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

The dealer quoted me a price of 14,500 for a 2005 Eagle G3 175 with a 90 hp 4stroke. One dealer quoted me a price of 16,200 for a 2003 crestliner cx1754. I agree with Big Zig on the Crestliner, and I cant put my finger on it either. They look nice, but cheap for some reason. Whats your opinions on Lowe boats? Larry I know wider is better, but my garage is narrow, gotta conserve on the width a little. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast