Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold weather Jug fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold weather Jug fishing

Anyone jug fish in February or march? Just curious about jug fishing in cold weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jug fishing

Yes, I jug fish in Feb and March for bluescats. Current water temps is 39 - 41 degs. Blues are hitting good on cut shad.

Post Thanks / Like

How deep of water do you fish this time of year. also tell us how deep to fish other times of the year. also how deep to put the bait. I have never jug fished for cats but made me 20 jugs this winter. when is the best time of year to jug fish. Hope to try it soon. Thanks for the help.

BamaMan

Post Thanks / Like

We jug fish alot, and rod and reel fish alot. Most fish caught from Apr-Nov we catch on top hook 3' deep suspended in 16-40 ft of water. Use your finder to find them. In the colder months they may be 2' off the bottom in 25-40 ft of water. We use shad and sometimes they hit alot better on cut. Typically they will hang out over holes where the water depth changes alot in a short distance. Right now we are fishing just off bottom with rod and reel. My 10 yr old daughter caught one 3 weeks ago that weighed 30 lb. I caught one Thurs that weighed 40. A friend caught one that they had to guess at 85. All were photographed and turned loose. Sun had something I thought I would never see. One of us caught a little better than 10 lb largemouth, and 1.5 hrs later same spot another guy caught one just under 10 lb. largemouth just off bottom on cut shad. This time of year if you can find where they are hanging it can be fun.

Best time here is spawn Apr-May and Oct-Nov.
    Try at mouths of feeder creeks to start, and wind blown points where shad are blown into a point. Good luck.
    Last edited by aserioushunter; 03-02-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add info