PDA

View Full Version : Reccommendations on Fishfinders

SwampDog
12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I have just recently purchased an aluminum bass boat. I am re-working a lot of electrical issues. I plan on installing a new depth finder on it but have been out of the fishing loop for a few years now so any help would greatly be apprecaited. I have heard that the Hummingbird's are good along with the Lowrance models. Any help on this matter would glady be taken in. Thanks for your time and hope to hear back from you all.

Jerry Blake
12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey Swamp Dog:

Both Humminbird and Lowrance make good graphs and have good customer service - I use one of each. If you haven't used a graph in a few years you will be amazed at the features and resolution you can get now without having to spend a lot of money. Although, there is an extremely wide price range in graphs on the market. If you can come up with a price range that will narrow the search. Then do some research and decide what features you want - like whether you want a combo unit with GPS.

I like having a little bigger screen than some of the entry level units have. You also have a choice of cone angle and side-scanning features and other features that may or may not be useful to you depending on your lakes and methods of fishing.

When you get your search narrowed down post the models you are concidering and folks that have used those models can give you specific likes and dislikes (if any) about them.

krappiekrazy
12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Just bought two new GPS units. Both are Lowrance units. Called Lowrance 5 or 6 times before I could decide which one to buy. They answered all my questions. Give them a call, tell them you need help deciding on a unit. Their number is 1-800-324-1356 or www.lowrance.com (http://www.lowrance.com) but it takes a day or two to answer the email. Try to get a unit with as many pixels as you can afford.

SwampDog
12-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Price isn't really a factor considering (Santa) is a coming. LOL! I was eyeing down the Lowrance LMS-480. However something comparable to that will work also. I'm willing to spend up to or around $700. Any suggestions?

krappiekrazy
12-11-2005, 06:22 PM
The 480 is a great unit. I looked at this unit but put all my money in a GPS unit. Tell santa to look at www.tigergps.com (http://www.tigergps.com) first.

izzysfishin
12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Hey Swampdog, I've asked pretty well the same thing today (ANOTHER GPS QUESTION). Check out Bass Pro Shop online. They have a LMS480/ i finderPro combo for $499.oo. I think I'm gonna buy it.

Jerry Blake
12-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Swamp Dog:

I have a Lowrance LCX17M combo unit, which I think has the largest non-colored screen they offer. I've seen some colored units in operation and I would pay for a larger screen before I would pay for color.

krappiekrazy
12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
The Lowrance 480 at tigergps.com is $474.16

ShilohRed
12-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Here is my next one. http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=512
But its over the $700 mark.

PEte

Big George
12-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Hey Red I have the unit and believe me there is nothing that will compare to it you can take a pic at what you are fishing or move the icon to the tree or stump and push go to and it will take u right to it the only drawback to the unit at this time is the gps part it needs a pointer like the garmins have with a arrow to guide you but I am told they are working on that part right now Swamp you might consider the 97c humminbird big screen model I think it is in the price range you are talking this 987 is the bomb you can tell which side of a sunk laydown to fish the limbs or the rootball and see the fish where they are or look at sunk boats all kinds of neet stuff

DENNIS BOWERS
12-12-2005, 04:48 AM
:confused:
Here is my next one. http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=512
But its over the $700 mark.

PEte Pete-Looks like a great unit!!LOL-by the time I figured out how to use everything on it,it would be obsolete!!

zappaf19
12-12-2005, 05:59 AM
www.bottomline.com Has a nice page on thier finders.
Bill:D

whizkids
12-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Price isn't really a factor considering (Santa) is a coming. LOL! I was eyeing down the Lowrance LMS-480. However something comparable to that will work also. I'm willing to spend up to or around $700. Any suggestions?------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I bought a color unit this year and love for your $700. range you can get a Lowrance X102C $499.00 http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58256&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

or a LMS337C for DF for $699.00
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58265&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

If you receive a gift certificate you can probably wait until late Feb. or early Mach and save a $100. on early season sales or 2005 model closeouts.

While sonar GPS combo's is another discussion, I would certainly be sure that is the way you want to go before you buy a combo unit. I prefer my GPS seperate. Then I can take the GPS anywhere.

ShilohRed
12-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Big George that is great to hear, It will be next fall before I can work it into the plan. But hope to have one by this time next year. so they may have the pointers on them by then.

Dennis it can't be that hard to use. LOL I remember when I thought a PC was something I would never figure out. That was Dec 1995 but 3 days later I was all over the net. Man it was great.
The only thing about the Depth finder is. I'm sure I would spend way to much time at first just looking over places. You know you think you know what it looks like. But I bet this thing will change the way we look at it. And also the way we fish some spots.

Pete

Hey Red I have the unit and believe me there is nothing that will compare to it you can take a pic at what you are fishing or move the icon to the tree or stump and push go to and it will take u right to it the only drawback to the unit at this time is the gps part it needs a pointer like the garmins have with a arrow to guide you but I am told they are working on that part right now Swamp you might consider the 97c humminbird big screen model I think it is in the price range you are talking this 987 is the bomb you can tell which side of a sunk laydown to fish the limbs or the rootball and see the fish where they are or look at sunk boats all kinds of neet stuff

CrappieHead
12-13-2005, 12:23 AM
The 900's are a great units from what I read about them. But I will hold off for a few years. I think we will see fish finders and GPS units we can plug into our laptop computers and have a 15 or 17" screen. We will have Microsoft drop down windows for easy to use operations. Rather than you telling the fish finder what to do, the laptop will tell you what it can do.

KARL
12-13-2005, 07:06 AM
The 900's are a great units from what I read about them. But I will hold off for a few years. I think we will see fish finders and GPS units we can plug into our laptop computers and have a 15 or 17" screen. We will have Microsoft drop down windows for easy to use operations. Rather than you telling the fish finder what to do, the laptop will tell you what it can do.

...it has already happened.:D ..friend of mine has a program on his laptop..with a antenna that suction-cups to windshield....I think it's call MAP IT.???....another function it has is that it talks to you..:rolleyes: .stuff like.."stay in left lane, turn left 400'...turn right 2.0 miles.."..pretty cool :cool:

SwampDog
12-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I have to agree with <whizkids> I believe that I do want to have my units separate. After looking at all my options I belive that I am going to go with the Lowrance x-135. There is just so more you can do with a hand-held GPS rather than having it a part of your boat all the time. Thanks for all the great advice and I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday season.