Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Fishing

I got out yesterday on Spectacle Lake near Valpo. 4 " of ice and a lot of guys on the ice. I think I saw 6-8. I'm a newbie at this and was just trying to learn. Didn't catch any but talked with several guys. They say this is a good lake for ice fishing and I'm sure I'll be back. I need a new set of blades on my auger and an ice scoop!!! Anybody catching any?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Largemouth through the ice!!

I got onto Long Lake near Valpo for a couple hours this morning with no luck, then went over to Lake George in Hobart. I caught this one Largemouth on minnows. My first fish through the ice so I was pretty excited about it, even though it wasn't that big. I was actually wanting to catch crappie but no luck there!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Mike! It took me many years before I caught one fish through the ice, thats why I don't go anymore! Don't fish yourself out before spring comes we got freezers to fill.
    I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where are you guys?

Where are all the ice fisherman? Is everybody on the couch waiting for the Spring?

Post Thanks / Like

Default couch

Too cold for me and my body. Fished for 3 hours acouple days ago and got skunked. I'll just sit in the warm from now on. LOL
    Bill:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie thru the ice!!!

I caught this today plus about 30 small bluegill through the ice at Lake George! I wanted more crappie but no luck. Caught it on an ice jig tipped with a beemoth.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice

What kind of jig is that? How long did you stay out?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig

It was a little ice jig tipped with a beemoth. I was out from 10:30-3:30. Here's the gills that I caught too. Very small I'm afraid but fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Default good

Ya did good! When is the fish fry?
    Bill:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen these pictures over on the shanty. I noticed you said these were the first gills you caught through the ice, I also noticed you are using a rather large ice jig for the gills, you might have many more lookers down there that aren't trying to inhale that jig. What size is the jig? I would try to downsize it a bit, size 12 is the biggest I go, and have been using a size 16so far this year.

Glad to see you are really getting into this ice fishing thing, most people give up after a time or two when they don't catch a bucketfull the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast