Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom & Pop sporting good stores

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mom & Pop sporting good stores

kunes listed yet another bait shop that is closed, and it rustled up some old thoughts. Are the smaller Mom & Pop stores becoming extinct, or is it just in my local area? I worked a small sporting good store in the evenings a few years back, and it turned some good business. One of the perks I had, the owner allowed me to purchase my own stuff at his cost. then we had our first "corporate outdoor store" open locally, and I could buy stuff cheaper there then I could at his cost.
    The store ended up being robbed (long guns and handguns), and the owner never could recover from it, and it ended up closing. I miss the personality a small store offers, as we no longer have any except specialty stores that have a few fishing items.
    I don't remember ever walking into Wally world and seeing 4-5 guys sitting on plastic chairs bickering about who caught the biggest fish yesterday.........ah, the good 'ole days. (fond memories)

Post Thanks / Like

When i was a little boy, many , many, many years ago, my grandfather would stop at a little store on the way to the lake. This place was so old i don't think it could have stood after a good wind storm. You would walk into this place and the floors would creak and groan. The place had cobwebs in the ceiling, an old pot belly stove in the middle of the floor and rocking chairs with cedar shavings all over where people had been whittling. You could get the best bait, coldest cokes and biggest bologna sandwiches around. Yes, the good old days. Bet i haven't seen anyone whittling in fifteen years.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, We still have one down the road from my huntting & fishing hole. It's a must stop kind of place, everytime I go fishing or hunting. Great food, and a good old pot belly stove in the winter. The nicest people you ever want to meet. The store got robbed last year too and the owner shot one and then died of a heart attact. The store is still open for now. It's a sad day when the mom and pop shop have to go.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We still have a few around. My favorite is Gail's bait and tackle. She handles the fishing part and Dick the hunting. I'll go in there and give her a ration about selling defective bait because they won't catch anything and she'll give me a ration right back. All in good natured fun. If you want something she doesn't carry, she will go out of her way to order it for you. I'd much rather pay her a few extra bucks for something just to help keep the business going.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'll always endorse a mom and pop store before anyplace else. Sure I get things from Cabela's but it's ussually something the smaller store can't get. I have no problem paying extra for a special order from mom and pop. You just can't get that 'specialized service' and up to date info from anywhere but the smaller bait shops. It's truely sad when a good one has to close down.

Post Thanks / Like

Mom and pop baitshops---another reason not to use artificial bait.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

slab_seeker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Thank you for bring that point to the surface.

slab_seeker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Thank you for bringing that point to the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

One of are local bait shops has a garrentee on it's live bait.It goes like this (It will catch fish or die trying). :D
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

fishinboat Guest

we still have a few here, and i do all my fishing business with them. i know wally world is cheaper but i catch more fish on the tubes they sell :p , besides the appreciate the business and i appreciate that they want our business. gotta take care of the little man all we can. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast