Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: newbie: Ice fishing for crappies ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question newbie: Ice fishing for crappies ?

Well, I finally collected all the gear I need to ice fish , got 6" hand auger ($10 used !), poles ,strainers, ice cleats, etc. This will be my first time ice fishing and my main question is, where are the fish usally at this time of year ? The place I'll be fishing is a small lake, 8'-12' deep at the deepest with 4'-6' being average. Should I stay in the coves and pockets where I found them in the spring or go to the middle ? Again this is my first time and I have no prior expierence in ice fishing.

Also, I live in north central Indiana, it's been highs of 20's lows of 0-10 for a week and a half. How long will it take to frezze solid enogh to be safe, and how thick should ice be before considered safe ? The last thing I want to do is fall in on my first trip out. -Thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation on the subject of "falling in" ...

ALL ice fishing anglers should view this: http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

Sorry that I can't help you with any of your questions on ice fishing ... the lakes here don't usually ice over - and the ones that do, don't get iced over enough to fish on. :rolleyes:
    But, all the same, I thought this video would be something worth checking out. .......... luck2ya .... cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    Well, I finally collected all the gear I need to ice fish , got 6" hand auger ($10 used !), poles ,strainers, ice cleats, etc. This will be my first time ice fishing and my main question is, where are the fish usally at this time of year ? The place I'll be fishing is a small lake, 8'-12' deep at the deepest with 4'-6' being average. Should I stay in the coves and pockets where I found them in the spring or go to the middle ? Again this is my first time and I have no prior expierence in ice fishing.

Also, I live in north central Indiana, it's been highs of 20's lows of 0-10 for a week and a half. How long will it take to frezze solid enogh to be safe, and how thick should ice be before considered safe ? The last thing I want to do is fall in on my first trip out. -Thanks
    First off, dont go alone. take someone with you to help in case of an emergency. get a set of ice picks and some rope too. fish the brush or weeds at the first dropoff. doesn't have to be a big or deep drop either. 1 ft or more may do. drill lots of holes until you find them. sometimes 10 or more will do. i've got fish in 4 ft water so it doesn't have to be deep. get a dave genz ice fishing dvd and study his pattern for drilling holes to find fish. worked for me. i like at least 4" of ice.