PDA

View Full Version : longlining info for a newbie

TheBear
02-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Asked this question on a different board, but didn't get much info. Wanted to see if you guys could help.

lots of questions here

How do you setup boat?
when do you use this method?
best way to rig?
basics of using this method (depth,speed, ideal bottom contour, etc)?
best equip: rods, reels, etc.
anything else a newbie needs to know

I know this is alot, but I want to learn how!

slimeyslab
02-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Great question. Been wondering the same things..

the wonder
02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Checkout Myoutdoortv.com, search Midwest crappie episodes.
Alot of good info. checkout the one of Russ & Derrick fulton
on Clarks Hill, alot more bt that one just stuck out.
Alot of other good info on c.c , you'll see when others chime in.
all in all it just lights the fire, expierence is the best teacher. If
you get a chance go out with a guide or someone who knows
the technique it'll save you some money,tackle, frustration and
valuable time on the water. Luck to you.

Tightlines & Long weekends!;)

Jeepster04
02-24-2010, 11:41 PM
It's basically the same setup as pulling cranks. You go a little slower and use minnow rigs or jigs. Usually, light weights and line diameter are used to control the depth. Here is a good article that should give you some good starting points.
Cappie Fishing techniques (http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/crappies-panfish-fishing/RA_0307_02/index2.html)

Skypilot
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Checkout Myoutdoortv.com, search Midwest crappie episodes.
Alot of good info. checkout the one of Russ & Derrick fulton
on Clarks Hill, alot more bt that one just stuck out.
Alot of other good info on c.c , you'll see when others chime in.
all in all it just lights the fire, expierence is the best teacher. If
you get a chance go out with a guide or someone who knows
the technique it'll save you some money,tackle, frustration and
valuable time on the water. Luck to you.

Tightlines & Long weekends!;)

Who's the best "guide" (and what lake) to get a lesson in "longlining?
Been wanting to learn this technique for some time...
Thanks

fishing buddy
02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Asked this question on a different board, but didn't get much info. Wanted to see if you guys could help.

lots of questions here

How do you setup boat?
best way to rig?

1. My boat is set up with hi-tek rod holders 2 sets of 4 in front and back. Works really good for me.
2. This method works year round for us.
3. We rig 2 jigs about 3ft apart bobby Garland stroll'r's work the best for some action. We also tip hand tied jigs from meatgetter and tnt tackle online with stroll'r's and grubs.
4. Make a good cast behind the boat around 60ft, your depth can be changed mostly with jig size, speed is .7 to 1.1mph which will change depth faster or slower, any bottom just dont want alot of snags.
5.Good gps for speed, BnM capps and colemans and Bnm roger gants side pulling rod works good( but to start with use what you got), spinning reels with 6lb line, Jigs 1/32 to 1/4oz

Best thing to do is get you some same type jig heads and same type bodys find you a flat that is same depth that the fish are holding in your lake say 12ft and start try different jig combos that will get you down . Once you see the tips start bouncing jigs of bottom you know what speed with those jigs go that deep. Your gonna lose ALOT of jigs and get your lines tangled up ALOT its part of it. Takes alot practice at first but good luck hope this helps.

sac-a-lait
02-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Bear, not a lot of info is available as a lot of folks don't fish this way. Your getting the same answers as you got before. The BEST thing to do is go try. I will tell you that you are going to need more than one rod holder and a lot of poles as well as a lot of jigs.

TheBear
02-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Bear, not a lot of info is available as a lot of folks don't fish this way. Your getting the same answers as you got before. The BEST thing to do is go try. I will tell you that you are going to need more than one rod holder and a lot of poles as well as a lot of jigs.

Is this because it is a newer method without a large following at this time? I have seen many reports of success using. Have also seen many guides posting it as their go to method. I do undertand the whole trial and error concept as that has been my primary way of learning, but am interested in what others are willing to share. definitly need more rod holders, poles, and jigs. Along with more time on the water.

TheBear
02-25-2010, 11:15 PM
1. My boat is set up with hi-tek rod holders 2 sets of 4 in front and back. Works really good for me.
2. This method works year round for us.
3. We rig 2 jigs about 3ft apart bobby Garland stroll'r's work the best for some action. We also tip hand tied jigs from meatgetter and tnt tackle online with stroll'r's and grubs.
4. Make a good cast behind the boat around 60ft, your depth can be changed mostly with jig size, speed is .7 to 1.1mph which will change depth faster or slower, any bottom just dont want alot of snags.
5.Good gps for speed, BnM capps and colemans and Bnm roger gants side pulling rod works good( but to start with use what you got), spinning reels with 6lb line, Jigs 1/32 to 1/4oz

Best thing to do is get you some same type jig heads and same type bodys find you a flat that is same depth that the fish are holding in your lake say 12ft and start try different jig combos that will get you down . Once you see the tips start bouncing jigs of bottom you know what speed with those jigs go that deep. Your gonna lose ALOT of jigs and get your lines tangled up ALOT its part of it. Takes alot practice at first but good luck hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! good stuff.

oldwun
02-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Check the Tennesse board. Longlining is very popular in East Tennesse.

filletfetish
02-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I'd say it's lack of talk and possible popularity by region could have to do with pole limits. I fish alone alot of times, Indiana only allows 3 poles per person.

When looking for crappies AWAY from structure, this would, no doubt, be the way to go. If I had 5 guys in my boat....

CrappiePappy
02-26-2010, 09:36 PM
... using a rod holder & 3rods, is when I've fished out of Richard Greens boat, on Weiss Lake, Ala. :p
BUT, I've been long line trolling jigs & cranks & spinners & blade baits ever since the 1960's :eek: ... I've just been using one or two poles (one in hand, or one in hand & one lying on deck). :p
Mostly I use the long line trolling technique as a search method, to find the depth & cover being used. Also use it when shooting docks (if docks are numerous along a particular bank) ... trolling a bait along, as I use the TM to go from dock to dock. I've found many good spots doing this (Spring Spawn).

Longlining isn't all that popular at many of the lakes I fish, especially here in KY, since the standing timber cover is too thick to manuever through ;)

As I understand it ... it's most useful during the pre-spawn period, since the Crappie are scattered & on the move. That's when most seem to prefer using jigs .... and crankbaits are used later on in the year, when the Crappie are back out in the main lake area &/or suspending around baitfish schools.

I still "prefer" to go "one on one" with the fish ... casting with one pole, and watching the line for the "thump". But, when I'm a guest or the situation warrants it, I'm subject to using whatever method is currently being successfully used. :D

... cp :cool:

fultondalecrappie
02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
When you get to the spot where you are going to longline and shut the big motor off leave it in gear so the prop doesn't spin and line won't get wraped up in it when you make a turn. When you make a turn increase your speed a little because jigs on one side will drop in depth and when you go a little faster it will help with getting hung up. Southern Pro hot grubs are they way to go when longlining.

crappie_dan
03-23-2010, 01:56 AM
What type of jigheads work the best when longlining?

jeepguyjames
03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
What type of jigheads work the best when longlining?

I almost always use roadrunners, if not them just a reg ole ball head.....

jeepguyjames
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM

lots of questions here

How do you setup boat?
best way to rig?

1) my boat has scotty rod holders on the sides of the boat, the rods stick straight out the side, I use different rod lenghts to keep lines seperated, usally a 12 footer in the front rod holder, then a nine footer in the rod holder right behind it.

2) for me in southern Ohio, I have had my best days in the warmer summer months, my best days have come in june, july, & august.

3) I always start with a single 16th roadrunner on one, and a bandit on the other, I have had days where both the crank bait and jigs have tore em up, its a trail and error thing, change it up every 15 mins or so till the fish tell you what they want

4) basics for me in my area are, warmer months (in all honesty it may work in the spring and fall here, but other patterns produce, so I havent really put forth an honest effort in those months) typically during these months I find em suspendid, depth varys from day to day even, speed is the same (I always start out fast and slow down untill they tell me what they want) any where from .4 mph to 1.9 mph, points, channel ledges, humps, stump beds have all produced for me

5 & 6) rods, reels, lines, depth finders are all personal prefrence, you would prob get 93 different answers from 100 diff fisherman on those things, my setups are all a little different, but 1 thing I really like when long lining is hi-viz line, it helps keep the lines apart easier and easier to keep em apart when reeling one in, when you 1st start out, if what your doing isnt working make a change (color, jig head weight, speed), keep changing it up till what your doing works, once you find a pattern you will find that same pattern stays pretty close for that time of year, leist thats what has worked for me,

Im no pro but long lining has produced alot of fish for us in the warmer months, we have had several 100 plus fish days in july and august, countless 70 to 80 fish days, and some of our bigger fish ever have been taken long lining, Like i said im sure some one on here knows more about it then i do, but thats what i have learned so far, good luck & God bless

crappie_dan
03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
I fish a lake that is normally very clear. would this method spook the fish since you have to troll right over them?

STUMP HUNTER
03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I just started longlining this year and learned that you have to teach yourself how to fish using longlines. You can get the info on rods, line, weight of jigs and what jig body to use. My boat is going to pull jigs different than your boat. I had to get on the lake and try different speeds with different size jig heads and take notes on how the jigs were running. With my boat if I use 6lb line, a 1/8 road runner with a 2 1/2'' body with a speed of .07 the jigs are at 11' deep, @ .09 the jigs are 8' deep. If I use a 1/16 jig and my speed is .07 with an 2'' body the jigs are running at 9' deep but if I use two 1/32 jig head and 2'' body's with a speed of .07 my jigs are running 8' deep.
I use 8 rods out the back and my jigs are around 40' from the boat. Last week I was using a 1/16 jig with a 2'' curly tail body with a boat speed of .07. The Fishfinder was showing the crappie holding at 10' depth. As the water warmed in the day I had to speed up to a speed of .09 to keep my jig above the crappie.
Longlining is a great way to catch crappie but you will have to spend the time to know the speeds to run and what size jig or jigs to use at different times of the day to stay on the fish.
The main thing to look at before you drop your lines is your Depthfinder. You have to know the depth the crappie are holding and know what set up to use (speed and jig size) so you are fishing a foot or so above the crappie.

callshy
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Who's the best "guide" (and what lake) to get a lesson in "longlining?
Been wanting to learn this technique for some time...
Thanks

With the amount and size fish fishing buddy has been catching I would say Ross Barnett with him would be a good guided trip.

TapOut64
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I fish a lake that is normally very clear. would this method spook the fish since you have to troll right over them?

If you have long rods out the sides your jig will be out there much wider than the boat. Also, with any kind of wind your boat will drift either to the right or left so that what your boat passes over there's a good chance your jigs won't.

I caught my biggest crappie ever last April long lining a 1/16oz chartreuse road runner head with a bronze willow blade, Cajun Cricket Bobby Garland Baby Shad, tipped with a minnow going between .8-1.0 mph.

jeepguyjames
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM

just as tapout said, I fish my poles straight out the side so im covering the area to each side of the boat and not what my boat is running over in the water, so if they do spook from the boat, hopefully the run to one side or the other and see my offerings :D, in all honesty the lakes that I long line in usally arent crystal clear, and usally the fish are 2 to 4 foot down or better for me, if I was long lining a clear lake I would do the same things I always do except I would add a fluro-carbon leader to the hi-viz line i use when trolling, I havent had any issues spooking fish when long lining, but in all honesty im usally fishing 5 foot to 14 foot of water targeting suspendid fish, and havent encountered really really clear water, but havent had an issue spooking fish. I feel like fishing the poles straight out the sides of the boat I cover a greater area per pass than i would fishing em all out the back, but like I said im no pro, Im just sharing what has worked very well for us in my area. good luck out there and God bless..

STUMP HUNTER
03-23-2010, 06:24 PM
This is the way I have my rods set up to long line. The four back rods are 7', then two 8' rods out the side and two 12'. Maybe a pic will help.

fishing buddy
03-24-2010, 03:55 AM
With the amount and size fish fishing buddy has been catching I would say Ross Barnett with him would be a good guided trip.

Thanks callshy:D All I do is long line and it does catch a lot of fish and biguns too.

jeepguyjames
03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
This is the way I have my rods set up to long line. The four back rods are 7', then two 8' rods out the side and two 12'. Maybe a pic will help.

mine is the same basic idea STUMP, but for now my poles out the side are located in the front of the boat, and anything going out the back is in the rear, so usally I sit up front and run the troller and who evers with me mans the rods in the back of boat, my setup will eventually change a little but same idea as to what your running right now, Just need to get me a trolling motor for the back of my boat. nice looking setup.

STUMP HUNTER
03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
mine is the same basic idea STUMP, but for now my poles out the side are located in the front of the boat, and anything going out the back is in the rear, so usally I sit up front and run the troller and who evers with me mans the rods in the back of boat, my setup will eventually change a little but same idea as to what your running right now, Just need to get me a trolling motor for the back of my boat. nice looking setup.

The i-pilot is the reason I moved everything to the back seat. :):) What a great unit Minnkota came up with ;)