PDA

View Full Version : The Rest of the Condo Story....true pic

Cane Pole
02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
I was looking thru some of my fathers old WWII albums and saw this picture some time ago last year. This picture is on the internet somewhere. It is Omaha Beach, Normandy June 6, 1944.

This is the source of inspiration of my coffee can condo venture. I believe I posted this picture here before. Can't remember and I sure could not imagine being there either.

Just to share guys and guyettes.

slimeyslab
02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
My grandad would talk for hours about "Storming the Beaches of Normandy". Those guy's really had some Brass One's.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Seeing a picture like that, takes my mind off crappie fishing thats for sure. I see where your coming from though.

Cane Pole
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
See the little ones in the picture? My cans look a lot like 'em. I shoulda named my cans them Normandy invaders.:)

CUZZIN
02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
All I can say is wow, thats a h*** of a pic, thanks for sharing!!!

wish4fish
02-24-2010, 12:20 AM
My neighbor up the road that I use to sell eggs too when I was a kid tol me he fought in Europe WWII. He talked about it to me some, the guy had some stories. His brother died over there. He has been gone nearly ten years now. I don't think he was there but that pic makes me think of sitting on his porch and listening to him. Thanks

bugman
02-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Makes me appreciate the freedoms we enjoy today.......awesome pic!!!

Don G
02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for sharing Tom...

frank lawhead
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Great picture Tom--Thanks

Shellback
02-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I recently got Verizon Fios TV with the History channel and Military History channel. I probably spend about 2 hours a day watching them. I can't imagine the horror those guys went thru, and it was never just a one day or couple hour event. Weeks and months on end, both in Europe and the Pacific. There's no doubt they were the Greatest Generation!

STUMP HUNTER
02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Every picture tells a story. That picture tell the story of many a men that came onto that beach. God Bless our Military

wannagofishin
02-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for sharing... makes me think of my grandpa who was the one that got me started in crappie fishing as a young kid. He was there, a few days after the initial invasion...never told me any stories about it, and I waited too long to ask as he has passed.

kycreek
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Turns out my stepfather which passed away over 15 years ago was in the 2nd wave that day. I didn't know anything about it till he was gone. He never really talked about the war much. I knew he was in Europe and was decorated but not the whole story. I sure was a dumb@ss for not talking with him about that and a lot of other things when I was young. He was a good man.

talltimber
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
The hopes and dreams went the way of the flesh. Gone forever. So sad.

RLR
02-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Great picture!!!!!!!!! I have a neighbor that was in the war over there, he has some great stories.

Crappie Stalker
02-27-2010, 09:34 AM
My grandfather was there. He died over there while my Grandma was pregnant with my Mom. After my Grandma passed away, Mom found a box of personal things that were given to my Grandma, including a couple of pictures, some love letters he had written and a couple of toys he had bought for the baby he never got to see or hold. I'll never forget the feelings I had looking at those things.