Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for braided line users??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for braided line users??

I'm going to try braided line this year for crappie, main for dipping arounds thick lay downs. The line is PowerPro 10lb/2lb His-Vis Yellow, reel Shimano Shara 2000 on a 10ft rod. I have used braided line for bass fishing on baitcasters but never on spinning reels. I will first spool the spinning reel with 4 or 6lb backing line first before adding the braid.

Question; Do I need to loosen up the drag for hook sets with braid line? Don't want too break the rod!!
    Is braided line prone to coil on the spool on spinning reels?
    How is casting with braided line? Do I need to use heavier jigs?
    I like to use 1/32-1/16oz.
    What about bobber stops, do they stay where put? Will slip floats slide up and down the line okay?

Any other stips on this line? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use 15 or 20lb braid for the same type fishing you are talking about. Don't go less than 15lb. Here's the way I rig it and it works great. First put your bobber stoper on. Use a medium sized slip bobber and tie on a small barrell swivel using a palamar knot. Then tie on about 15" of 12 or 15lb fluorocarbon for the leader to which you tie on a #4 or #2 extra light wire gold hook using a overhand loop knot. Then put on just enough split shot on the braid at the swivel to make the slip cork just barely float. With it set up like this, when the crappie bite, they can't feel any resistance from the cork. And when you get hung up, the hook almost always staightens or it breaks off at the hook. You almost never have to go retrieve your cork and retie the whole rig. Of couse this is for using minnows but you could use a jig also.

Post Thanks / Like

cc, while down in florida one winter fishing i was talking to a man complaining about mono kinking up on a spinning reel. he said, "put braided line on it. end of problem. it's made to order for spinning reels." i came home and have a small pond here on the farm with catfish up to 6 lbs in it. i put braided line on my ultr-lite spinning reel and you know how mono will mess up when reeling against the drag pulling out. i intentionally, when i hooked a cat, reeled against the line going out. i've done this over and over and have never had the braided to kink up like mono will. i think i put 15/6? on my ultra lite. i'll never go back to mono on a spinning reel. and i use it on most of my bass rigs. i use the green braided line and take a magic marker and black out the last 4 ft of the line.

old

Post Thanks / Like

Set your drag for the weakest link in your setup! Get everything rigged the way you want it and then hook your hook to an immovable object, then pull back on your rod and adjust the drag on your reel for whatever the weakest link is.... be it your hook, leader, or rod. I usually set my drag this way for the load I want on the rod, but I do use some very light wire hooks that I will set the drag for this way.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't have any problems casting these braids. I would go even lighter in strength and go for something like a Fireline (Spectra type of braid) in the 4# - 6# ratings. Unbelievably fine line diameter and will last and last. No need to go stronger. And you'll be able to cast a country mile! Just make sure you use a fluorocarbon leader. Not for the "invisibility" factor, but for it's abrasion resistance. All braids need this, unless your fishing top water baits over open water.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCHAMP View Post
    I'm going to try braided line this year for crappie, main for dipping arounds thick lay downs. The line is PowerPro 10lb/2lb His-Vis Yellow, reel Shimano Shara 2000 on a 10ft rod. I have used braided line for bass fishing on baitcasters but never on spinning reels. I will first spool the spinning reel with 4 or 6lb backing line first before adding the braid.

Question; Do I need to loosen up the drag for hook sets with braid line? Don't want too break the rod!!
    Is braided line prone to coil on the spool on spinning reels?
    How is casting with braided line? Do I need to use heavier jigs?
    I like to use 1/32-1/16oz.
    What about bobber stops, do they stay where put? Will slip floats slide up and down the line okay?

Any other stips on this line? Thanks

I like the 15/4 hi-vis. When I set the drag on my reels I like to set it to where when I set the hook on say a pound to pound and half fish the drag just slips
    a little bit. I have a habbit of setting the hook a little harder than I need to and this really helps to hook up on more fish. Remember the braid has NO stretch and on a hard hook set can rip through there mouth, unless it's buried in the top of there mouth, then she ain't going no where.

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    You won't have any problems casting these braids. I would go even lighter in strength and go for something like a Fireline (Spectra type of braid) in the 4# - 6# ratings. Unbelievably fine line diameter and will last and last. No need to go stronger. And you'll be able to cast a country mile! Just make sure you use a fluorocarbon leader. Not for the "invisibility" factor, but for it's abrasion resistance. All braids need this, unless your fishing top water baits over open water.
    Scratching my head here. I have fished braid on my long poles for many years and never used a leader of any sort. i mainly use them during the spawn to fish IN the buckbrush and never had any issues. Biggest problem is when your lifting one outa the brush and they let go. The rig lies up and makes one heck of a mess. Also use them jigging bridges and some deep structure. i prefer the 4/15 over the 2/10 due to it seems not to angle quite as easy when you have one spit the hook. Only other real down side is that your minnow can flat tie you up and spend a lot of time digging them out. Only give them as much free play as necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Power Pro you mentioned, the 10/2 and like it a lot. It's strong enough to bend a hook to get loose some times and still has all the good properties of braid. Maybe loosen the drag a little, but it's not that big of a deal as long as it will let line out if a big crappie surges on you as you don't want to pull the hook out of his mouth. Not a big deal though as far as using braid and you will learn fast where to set things.

Casting is not an issue. Also coiling on spool is not an issue.

Best part is how you feel everything!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Skip on the 10/2, we have used it since it first came out. Hi-vis yellow works the best down here. You need to set your drag for 2 reasons : #1] so it prevents straightening hooks on the hookset. #2] Takes the shockload off your rod. It casts great and lasts 10 times longer than mono....dont need a leader either. You will love it!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Pro 10/2 yeller

That's what I been trying to use too. What I don't like with any of the hi-vis braids is that it loses it colors and after a while looks like used dental floss. It works though.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Rammer1961 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast