Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first experience pouring

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first experience pouring

Okay everyone. I finally got enough stuff to do a little playing. I realized a lot of stuff in my first try. I learned that you do not get great baits out of home made molds but you get some you can use. I know I need to make several modifications because some of them are not thick enough. I wasted a lot of plastic due to mistakes and learning the process. Well I did not learn it but I did gain ground. I hate the pouring hole on the 2 1/2 gallon jug. I lost plastic trying to pour from it. I also need a digital thermometer, the big glass one from bears is too big and takes too long to reach the temp. All in all I had a lot of fun but I have more questions for the pros here. One thing is, I think my plastic is too soft or I did not do something right. I bought the calhouns soft. I think it is just a little too soft and kind of has a sticky feel to it when it is cooled. Do they have hardener you can buy to put in it too harden it a little bit? About how much anise per ounce do you guys use? The colors are confusing to me. I used 15 drops in 2 ounces of plastic and I thought the color turned out well but just wondered if I really needed that much color. The black color seemed to seperate drom the plastic like it did not blend in or something. I put 15 drops of red thinking it would be a solid color with that much red but it is transparent. I want to dip my tubes chartuese and then tip them in a solid color but cant seem to get a solid color because the red is transparent over the chartreuse. The red color looks pretty dark when you drop it in but doesnt turn out dark. Maybe I need a different color red. I wasted money buying rods when I should have stuck with just hangers for dipping because the hangers would give me the size I want. Cutting the tails is what is going to be hard. I like really small tubes and it just dont look like the cutters they sell will cut the that small of tubes so that the tails have several strands. Here are a few pics of my first pouring experiment, i know its not good but it sure was fun. There is a lizard and cricket and grass hopper from my plaster molds and some of the others are from silicone molds. I found it as almost too hard to pour such small fine lines with a cup, or it was for me anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

if your plastic is a little sticky then you need to shake the plastic jug very well. some ingredients settle to the bottom and it will leave you a sticky very soft bait. to get solid colors add a few drops of white first then add your red.

Post Thanks / Like

crappieday, what colors give you a crystal shad type of color? I thought I shook the jug pretty good lol. I had a headache by the time I was done lol. Would one of those digital thermometers with a probe from walmart work okay? I think they are around 15 bucks. Do you think those tail cutters would work okay with such small tubes or are they mainly for larger tubes and wider strands?

Post Thanks / Like

for my crystal shad I add 1 drop black for 4oz plastic and add medium black and silver flake. sometimes I add a pinch of red flake for a bleeding shad. dont know about the thermometer, the plastic on the probe might melt. I have never used the tail cutters for tubes. the whole process is just to slow for me. lol

Post Thanks / Like

the tube process is very slow. the digital thermometer had a long metal probe, looked like it would work good. might just have to trial and error it. Did you mean one drop of black color and then medium black and silver flake glitter? Or were all 3 of those colors. How many drops of charteuse should it take to color 2 ounces. If you use just like a couple drops, I used over 10 on each color lol.

Post Thanks / Like

some colors it take more coloring, I have some that take 100 drops per 2 cups. 1 drop of black and the other 2 are glitter. make sure you mix up your color well too, it will separate in the bottle and the pigment will go to the bottom. shake your colors very well

Post Thanks / Like

that might be what happened to the black, I forgot to mix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good for a first try, seeker. I don't understand what you mean by "wasted" a lot of plastic? All plastic can be remelted and used. I sometimes mix all my trimmings and melt them all together and get some real funky colors. Keep on pouring. Here's my latest. I call it the "Tail Dragger".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

those look great bwill, how much color did you use on the chartreuse looking one? I lost a lot of plastic because I made a stupid mistake that I knew better than to do. Those tails are so hard for me to pour since they are so small and fine lined. I wish I had a small stream injector. I am going to modify my pop molds and then try another silicone mold later

Post Thanks / Like

That chartreuse is 2 drops per 2 ozs of plastic. Black is the same mixture. Blue is same mixture. Motor oil is same mixture. White is 5 drops per 2 ozs plastic.
    The yellow looking one is the same chartreuse after it has been cooked several times.
    Happy pouring.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast