Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1st reelfoot fishin trip

stang93 Guest

Default 1st reelfoot fishin trip

Hi all, I am from illinois and I'm going too make a trip down to reelfoot in the first week of april. I had a few questions. First is that a good time to go crappie fishin? are they usually spawning by then? And is eagle's nest a good resort to stay in, if not what is the best one? Thanks for the help

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot

used to go there to fish blue gill in early may so I would think your times close to right

always stayed at boyettes ... spartan but clean

reelfoot lake has a web with all the resorts on it
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

There is a guy that posts fishing reports for reelfoot lake on the internet.. They go back four or five years. I punch in fishing reports for reelfoot lake and his website will come up. He name is jackie vancleeve. The guide we
    use is Golden Mathis from Troy Tenn. Don't know much about eagles nest
    but it is always full when we are there. The website will tell you the best
    time to be on the lake for crappie, unless i am wrong, i thing the first week
    of april would be really good. i hope you enjoy reelfoot as much as we do.
    it takes a while to learn the lake, but when you do its great.
    best regards
    chef

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished Reelfoot every spring for 40 years.You're timing is good for crappies. I stayed on the lower end one time....never again. I stay at the north end of the lake. If it's windy and it will be....garranteed...you can always find a place to get out of it.I stay at Grays Camp...731-253-7813.
    John Fagan is the owner and one of the best guides on the lake.. Hope this helps..

Norm

stang93 Guest

so i take it eagle's nest is on the south end? does anybody know what resort's are on the north end of the lake? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eagles Nest at Reelfoot

We will be spending our 11th year at Eagles Nest this coming April. We really like the owners and they do their best to keep you happy. That's one reason we've returned. We'll be there the 3rd week of April, but in a normal weather Spring, you should find them starting to move in shallow during your stay. The boys on the dock will tell you where the crappie are biting and help you with any questions. I take a trolling motor and fish locator with me, but they rent the motors there. I think you will like the lower basin as you can get to the deep water (16-18) and have shallow (4-6) water stumps pretty close by. I would try the 8-10 ft water first. The wind will white cap the lake at 10 mph and it's hard to get out of it. If you don't have a trolling motor, you can drift sideways with the wind over the stumps just as easily. I use jigs and jigs tiped with minnows all the time with good success. Wife always catches the biggest crappie, but I'll get even on number caught..I think you'll really enjoy the resort and the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been going to Reelfoot the past ten years (February) and the fishing is alway's great for me in the deeper lower basin area so April should be close to spawn season I would guess.

If you have trouble finding shallow fish, get a map and go out to the Green Island Point, it is on the map. get in about 10 feet of water and drag minnows on the bottom. There is a huge dead tree laying in the water off to the left and I never fish past that before turning and going back to the point.

We always catch plenty of crappie in this area and it is full of underwater cypress knees.

And yes, the wind is rough!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

you will need a trolling motor and i think it is worth the money to
    hire a guide the first trip. otherwise you will waste days trying to figure
    out whats going on. we hire a guide the first day and thencatch fish
    the rest of the week.
    chef

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a tournement there every year in May. My experience has been the big crappie or most of them have done their thing. !st f April, I bet you would do good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guide

I agree with Chef.. It took me several years ( one week at a time ) to learn how to fish the lake , cause I was too tight to hire a guide.:rolleyes:
    Also, watch how the local boys fish.( they'll be the ones thats catching fish. ) You can learn a lot from them.
    Norm