Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: christmas trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default christmas trees

i am getting together a few trees to put in lake hickory around our dock. is it better to put the trees out away from the dock or under the dock? the end of the dock is in 8 to 10 feet of water.going to have lots of kids fishing there this upcoming spring and summer.thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use Christmas trees. Use come PVC pipe or some Bamboo. THe trees will be MAJOR HANGUPS and they have so many limbs the fish really can't get in them that good. Go to your local Aquarium and see how they have ot set up and try and imitate that. it's usually limbs or stumps that are tight cover but open enough for the fish to get in and out of it, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

but should i put them under the dock or casting distance?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put them at the end where cane poles can reach them easily so you don't have to hold the pole all the time, that way the kids can toss it our and if they ever feel like it they can set the pole down while still leaving the bait in the zone.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

build something like this .or stick some pipe or bamboo in a 5 galon buckett and put sack-kreek in it to hold it down
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I read a couple of articles saying that it was best to burn the needles off Christmas trees before using them as structure. They said that there was something in the needles that slowed the growth of algae or moss on the trees ... making them less attractive to fish. I have no first hand experience... other than snagging bits of sunken trees and noticing that the needles seem to stay on a LONG time. Anyone know anything about this?

Post Thanks / Like

If you will give me your email address, I can forward you a pic that Larry Pugh emailed of some structure they are making and putting in state lakes.
    According to him , it is not expensive to make. My email [email protected].

I am planning to make some structure with 10 foot 2x4s' with 6 inch wide planks nailed to them, making a cross pattern about every 2.5Ft.,, I will drive the 2x4 into the lake bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

I Talked To A State Conservation Guy. Fir Christmas Trees Are Fine
    To Put In Except They Rot Pretty Quick. Green Cedar Trees Put Out
    Some Chemical I Cant Remember. He Said To Either Let Them Dry Out Or Burn The Green Needles Off Of Thetree And Then Put Them Out.
    Chef

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chef... Just what I wanted to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the same kids going to be there during the summer if so I would put everything under the dock might not be as good as out away from it but would hate to see a young one with a piece of PVC or bamboo stuck in a foot or somewhere more painful.WE all know kids are going to be kids!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast