PDA

View Full Version : knot question

Ranger375
02-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Was re-reading an article and it was talking about keeping jig horizontal. I may be misunderstanding the statement made, but I'm confused.

Article states "I put knot up under the eye to make it hang horizontally like a live minnow" I don't understand the 'knot up under the eye' portion of that statement. Maybe somebody can un-confuse me...LOL

Barry F

speckfinder
02-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Tie knot as tight as you can. Pull knot down eye of hook (towards hook point). Instead of knot being on top center of eye (as hook is laying horizontal) it will be low and forward-toward bend of hook. You will have to do it everytime you catch a fish or get hung. You will get where you can do it quick and it will become second nature.

Hope this makes sense.

Crestliner08
02-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Once you cinch down the knot to the jig eye, slide the knot down toward the head of the jig, on the hook side of that eye. This changes the center of balance and has a tendency to keep your jig in a more horizontal posture - under a float. You just have to make sure you cinch it up tight. Even at that, it won't stay there for long, especially after you catch a fish. It will have to be "re-adjusted" periodically.

Bill Dance ran a program on this very thing, sometime last year. He actually ties a loop knot, so that the jig hangs in a semi-vertical fashion. He claims it looks more "natural" that way, under a float. However, I still snug my knot and try to keep the jig horizontal. Just been doing that for a very long time and it's second nature to me. Another one of those things that just may not necessarily be all that important. :)

slopehead
02-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I do not even tie my jig in a knot. Mine hangs in a loop. Hog wash, you need action.

Dogrockit
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Loop knot is THE way to go......http://www.fishingchartersinc.com/images/loop_knot1.gif

JBledsoe
02-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks Dogrockit, I going to try that one.

Ranger375
02-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Now I understand clearly. Sort of what i thought but my old thinker was trying to make it difficult.

Barry F

"G"
02-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Here is a link to a great site about knots. Grog's Fishing Knots Index (http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php)

Cane Pole
02-20-2010, 07:15 PM
What you gonna do when you put the tube or grub on it? Nose up it goes.

Do fish really care? I catch 'em either way. MOAO

frank lawhead
02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Buy jigs that hang level--:):)