Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: line explanation

Post Thanks / Like

Default line explanation

I have always used Trilene XL 6#, a monofilament line. I would like an explanation of these new lines, such as fluorocarbon, braids (like Fireline, I guess), and any others that are out there. These new ones are so pricey, I would like to understand them before I invest. What are the pros and cons of each type of line, and what situations would you recommend using each one? I understand that they are smaller diameter and less visible to the fish, but how do they compare with the limpness and lack of spool memory that the Trilene XL has? If you don't mind, please give a brand and name of each line so that I can be sure I'm looking at the right ones. For instance, there are several Firelines. Thanks.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line

I use 6# viscious for up to 8-10 ft jigging--pro-pro[15lb -4#dia fot deeper]
    Gives a lot better feel
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    Gives a lot better feel
    Thanks Frank. Is the Vicious line the Fluorocarbon, Panfish, Braid, All-Purpose, or Ultimate version?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, kind of a big subject, but here's the short of it as I understand it.

Mono - well, you know that already like Trilene XL. Pros - cheap, limp, Cons - stretch, inconsistency with some brands and diameter is larger for a given amount of strength.

Flourocarbon - technology is said to refract light the same as water, therefore making it invisible to the fish. Pros - lower stretch, invisibility, memory on some brands is a problem Cons - cost, knot strength and unexplained breaks have been problematic with brands and applications, some say it's brittle in cold water. Example - everybody's got some and they'll all say Flourocarbon on it ie Vicious Flourocarbon.

Hybrid or Co-Polymer - attempts to keep some properties of mono and pick up the strength and or low stretch while maintaining manageability of other types. Yo-Zuri Hybrid is one example - Pros - reaonable cost, strength, lower stetch - Cons - blends are brand specific, some are pricey, will require experimentation to find one that behaves like you want.

Braid - several technologies out there, but all combine spectra or dyneema in a woven fashion to produce the lowest stretch possible. Pros - lowest stretch available, very sensitive, smaller diameter to achieve the same lb of break strength. Cons - expensive, some knots will slip with it, whispy in the wind (tip wraps), lack of stretch can be a bad thing at times.

I left off a bunch, but that's the basics.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Thanks Frank. Is the Vicious line the Fluorocarbon, Panfish, Braid, All-Purpose, or Ultimate version?
    visious is mono--limp and lays on reel good-I use the panfish verison
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I started fishing with yo zuri highbird ultrasoft 6# spinning and 12# baitcasting and also been using a line cond. so far everything has been good

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6# Fireline braid tipped w/ 10' of 4# Spiderwire. Wannbe is right about the wind factor with braid. I run this on my four BnM black widow poles as they are fiberglass and I wanted to detect the bite better. Don't know if that logic works for everbody, but seems to work for me.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    Gives a lot better feel
    X2 I also use 8# on spider rig rods with 4# leaders. very limp and hi vis.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post

Mono - well, you know that already like Trilene XL. Pros - cheap, limp, Cons - stretch, inconsistency with some brands and diameter is larger for a given amount of strength.

Flourocarbon - technology is said to refract light the same as water, therefore making it invisible to the fish. Pros - lower stretch, invisibility, memory on some brands is a problem Cons - cost, knot strength and unexplained breaks have been problematic with brands and applications, some say it's brittle in cold water. Example - everybody's got some and they'll all say Flourocarbon on it ie Vicious Flourocarbon.

Hybrid or Co-Polymer - attempts to keep some properties of mono and pick up the strength and or low stretch while maintaining manageability of other types. Yo-Zuri Hybrid is one example - Pros - reaonable cost, strength, lower stetch - Cons - blends are brand specific, some are pricey, will require experimentation to find one that behaves like you want.

Braid - several technologies out there, but all combine spectra or dyneema in a woven fashion to produce the lowest stretch possible. Pros - lowest stretch available, very sensitive, smaller diameter to achieve the same lb of break strength. Cons - expensive, some knots will slip with it, whispy in the wind (tip wraps), lack of stretch can be a bad thing at times.

Wannabe...
    Thank you. That's the information I was looking for!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job with the explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post

Wannabe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast