Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to find tall stumps?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to find tall stumps?

Was talking with an old man today. And I believe him. He has been around me all my life.
    WE got to talking about crappie fishing. And he got to telling me about fishing with his Uncle. And they were fishing Cypress stumps or trees that Was cut off even with the water when the lake was built. Like Reel Foot.
    Now how in the world would you find these? AS You know there still in there.

My trolling motor depth finder does have the tri-Beam transducer that you can sit to shoot side ways. Do you think it will show them?

I think I may spend a few trips just looking for them.

Anyone with good ideas let me know.
    If I have to I will buy one of the new side-scan hummingbirds next year.:D
    Man the stumps like that would hold plenty of fish.

Pete

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i put spare transducer on my TM shaft point it forward you can see them & pull up close to use long rod & not bump into them.

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete, I occasionally find some REAL tall ones like this - THUMP
    KNOCKA-KNOCKA THUMP. You can tell its a real good one when it kills
    the motor. Probably not a good idea though, I don't think there be many
    fish around it after you find 'em this way:D If the racket from the boat
    don't get 'em, the "blue cloud" hanging over the water will run 'em off.
    And I don't mean 2-cycle smoke
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang Pete ..... why in the world would they cut the trees off even with the water surface level ... sounds a little dangerous to me !! Hopefully the lake is a couple of feet higher/lower that the tops of those Cypress.
    Do you have a topo map that shows where the stumps/timber are ??
    You definitely want some weedless jigheads, for casting around Cypress knees ... or some long jig poles, to vertical jig them. You might try slow trolling/drifting with weedless jigs ... and let them "find" the stumps for you.
    ANY depthfinder will show a stump ... once it gets inside the cone's field of range.

IF it were me ...... I'd take the "old man" fishing (or the Uncle) and let them show me where :D Heck, I'd even "let" them put a thrashing on me, just for the info ........ luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm... I remember those stumps. I had some military training in Millington, and had opportunities to fish Reel Foot. At pool level there were stumps visable just below the water. Talk about dangerous! There was a rumor that since the lake was formed naturally by an earthquake years past, therefore no dam to release the water so that the stumps could be cut deeper. They didn't have chainsaws back then, much less a waterproof one. Lots of cypress in that time period were harvested for the wood value, ie: duck calls, siding, pier posts, etc.. That too was halted at a later date.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default stumps

The Guy That Owns Grizzly Jigs [whole Life On Reelfoot] Had A Article On Stumps There

He Says Point The Trollin Motor Trans. Forward A Few Degree And The Stumps Show Up As A Horazional Line ...had Pictures In Article.....it Takes Lots Of Work To Interpet Them [pointin Troller] But I Could See Where It Would Work

I,m Like Jeff I Find Them When Boat Stops And Trollin Moter Buckles Under....haha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff that will not work. There under about 8 ft of water now. But there still 12 to 15 ft tall.
    Wish I could take the old man fishing, But he is in the old folks home. And can't get out. And the guy that told me about them. Did not fish enough to remember where they were at. Just within a big cove. So I know I will find them.
    I think I will take one of the old Depth finders and put in on a pole Sticking out the front of the boat. And turn it and let it show them/.

Also this is on Pickwick. Now I have a bunch of the ones marked in Reel Foot. And a lot of the others have hooks of mine in them..LOL

Crappiepappy. In reel foot they cut them off with the water. But here they cut them off with the water way below winter pool. Wish I did have a map showing them. but I don't . There is a guy that has one of the first maps that had about everything in Pickwick marked. But he would not let it out. And is still living. but I did see it one time while fishing with him. And man its a man and a 1/2..

Pete

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank that was where I got the idea & it works well. Me TM has built in trans So I put the one that came with finder on the shaft

BIG LEO

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default stumps

Last Time At Reelfoot [3 Yrs. Ago] They Had Marked The Stumps With Re-bar And Painted Them White Which Works If The Lake Is At Normal Pool---watch Out If The Waters High ....you,ll Tear The Bottom Out Of Boat

There Is So Many Stumps It Would Be Impossible To Mark...thats Why There Is So Many Small Motors [they Will Kick -up]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The Rebar works untill the lake freezes. Then the ice bends it over.
    I sure wish they would stop marking the stumps with steel..

you can run reel foot without hitting a lot of the stumps. But you have to take your time. The guy I fish with is running a 90 Mariner. with SS prop. WE hit a stump but most times it just enough to feel the hull bumping it.

There talking about redoing the spillway. and raising the water level 2 more feet. If they do that. It will take most of the stumps out of harms way. But its nice to fish and not have boat waves.

PEte

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    Last Time At Reelfoot [3 Yrs. Ago] They Had Marked The Stumps With Re-bar And Painted Them White Which Works If The Lake Is At Normal Pool---watch Out If The Waters High ....you,ll Tear The Bottom Out Of Boat

There Is So Many Stumps It Would Be Impossible To Mark...thats Why There Is So Many Small Motors [they Will Kick -up]