Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a log book?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who uses a log book?

I have read a lot of articles about the benefits of keeping a log book and using it to find patterns and methods based on previous outings. I always think I am going to start creating one of these but I never am committed enough to update it after each outing. Just wanted to know how many people do keep a log book. The benefits you have found by using this. And what type of method do you use to record this data (paper notebook, computer, etc..)

Post Thanks / Like

I kept a fishing log (mainly bass) for 5-6 years in an Excel sheet. It was pretty awesome being able to sort/select the info you wanted. It really came in handy for tournaments/league events. Below are the categories I filled in after each outing.....
    -Lake
    -Date
    -County/Area
    -Species
    -Air Temp
    -Water Temp
    -Barometer
    -Water Clarity
    -Time of Day
    -Wind & Direction
    -Current Weather Trend
    -Weather
    -Bait
    -Depth
    -People Fished With
    -Hours Fished
    -Best Producing Lure & Color
    -Results/Comments
    -Biggest Fish & Lure
    -# of Bass over 18"

I would highly suggest doing this if you have the time! It can come in handy if the wife says your fishing too much and you have the data to show her you have fished X amount of times/hours less than last year. Or put it into a pie chart showing how much time you spend with her vs. fishing. :D After having a couple of children I have not kept up on it due to lack of time and not fishing as much. I do go back and read through it occasionaly...some great trips and memories that I will always have! Hopefully it will be of some use to my children and grand kids.

Bassman

crappiejunky is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My fishing partner and I have been keeping log books for about 26 years,when we decided we were gonna chase the crappie year round.It's been a very informative tool to go back and read that information.I was just reading in 1 the other day from 1987 when we first went to Neely Henry dockshooting for crappie.I'm sure not that many people were doing that back then.It's fun to read back through some of that old stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I just started doing this myself. I think there are some great benefits, especially if you fish different waters for different species.

Post Thanks / Like

Myself and others on the Ga form keep diarys of our trips. We are taking it one step further. We have teamed up with the local DNR and we turn over info to them every so often as to the Number of total catch and the lenght of the fish caught. This helps them to get a more indepth look at the lakes we fish other than the netting they do. We are trying to help support the Crappie population for the future.
    Last edited by jroz; 02-18-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't but have just bought one to start using this season.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline View Post
    I haven't but have just bought one to start using this season.

What did you buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman96 View Post
    I kept a fishing log (mainly bass) for 5-6 years in an Excel sheet. It was pretty awesome being able to sort/select the info you wanted. It really came in handy for tournaments/league events. Below are the categories I filled in after each outing.....
    -Lake
    -Date
    -County/Area
    -Species
    -Air Temp
    -Water Temp
    -Barometer
    -Water Clarity
    -Time of Day
    -Wind & Direction
    -Current Weather Trend
    -Weather
    -Bait
    -Depth
    -People Fished With
    -Hours Fished
    -Best Producing Lure & Color
    -Results/Comments
    -Biggest Fish & Lure
    -# of Bass over 18"

I would highly suggest doing this if you have the time! It can come in handy if the wife says your fishing too much and you have the data to show her you have fished X amount of times/hours less than last year. Or put it into a pie chart showing how much time you spend with her vs. fishing. :D After having a couple of children I have not kept up on it due to lack of time and not fishing as much. I do go back and read through it occasionaly...some great trips and memories that I will always have! Hopefully it will be of some use to my children and grand kids.

Bassman
    Ditto what Bassman said. I just started keeping one in excel this past fall. I think it's going to be an invaluable tool.

Post Thanks / Like

I do both an Excel spreadsheet and a written log. Excel is more "useful" because you can search and sort info so easily. The written log is more fun to just pick up and read.

I read an article about another interesting idea. This guy would always take a picture or two with his cell phone and post it in a Word document. He might have a picture of a fish, but more often he would take a pic of the scenery or the place(s) where he caught the fish.

I know there are iphone apps related to this. I'll have to check them out, too.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to but don't get out much anymore.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast