Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floats

Post Thanks / Like

Default floats

what do slip floats offer that clip on type of floats don't?I exclusively use clip on floats if i use a float,and grew up using them.They come off easily,i spose im not too familiar with slip floats.there's 2 EZ trout floats in the 152 pc trout magnet kit i have.Am i sposed to acually run the line through the plastic piece that goes into the float body or not?I don't like the idea of having to cut my line to take the float off.seems to me like a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like

slip floats allow you to fish deeper, hard casting a clip on float if your fishing 15-20 ft.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I don't usually fish that deep with a float.If i fish something deep,I usually just have a split shot above my hook to get it down there.thx for the info

Post Thanks / Like

They can also allow you to pitch into pockets in thick cover without getting snagged up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bxn View Post
    what do slip floats offer that clip on type of floats don't?I exclusively use clip on floats if i use a float,and grew up using them.They come off easily,i spose im not too familiar with slip floats.there's 2 EZ trout floats in the 152 pc trout magnet kit i have.Am i sposed to acually run the line through the plastic piece that goes into the float body or not?I don't like the idea of having to cut my line to take the float off.seems to me like a waste of time.
    No. On the EZ Trout floats you take and run the line through the slit in the side of the float, then take the peg and peg it to stop it at that depth. You do NOT have to run it through the plastic peg piece.

Post Thanks / Like

excellent!i will surely be using them sometime than!probly be good idea to add a small splitshot to the line right under it so tho float sits up right in the water and not on its side.thx for replies and info bout the floats :D

Post Thanks / Like

The best split shot is the size that Trout Magnet sells on their website. It's hard to find that size in most stores. Any larger size really affects the way the bait works IMO. It really isn't necessary though if you are worried about the float standing up. It stands up pretty well on its own.

crappiejunky is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when we are shooting docks or boathouses we'll use a slip float with a live minnow and fire it as far back under a boathouse as you can and just let it float around while you jig fish the remainder of the boathouse. We call that a "bonus" fish. Sometimes it works real good and it's alotta fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Slip floats outwiegh fixed floats by a long shot!

*fish deeper
    *cast farther
    *faster depth changes
    *no damage to line
    *more accurate casts
    *the list goes on and on

Fixed floats have there time and place, but rarely get used in my boat, unless I floating small jigs for bedding bluegill.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

The only clip on floats I'll use are Betts, and only then to about 5-6 feet. Anything deeper it's a slip float.

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast