PDA

View Full Version : floats

bxn
02-18-2010, 02:07 AM
what do slip floats offer that clip on type of floats don't?I exclusively use clip on floats if i use a float,and grew up using them.They come off easily,i spose im not too familiar with slip floats.there's 2 EZ trout floats in the 152 pc trout magnet kit i have.Am i sposed to acually run the line through the plastic piece that goes into the float body or not?I don't like the idea of having to cut my line to take the float off.seems to me like a waste of time.

Ken Kinser
02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
slip floats allow you to fish deeper, hard casting a clip on float if your fishing 15-20 ft.

bxn
02-18-2010, 04:25 AM
I guess I don't usually fish that deep with a float.If i fish something deep,I usually just have a split shot above my hook to get it down there.thx for the info

fished-out
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
They can also allow you to pitch into pockets in thick cover without getting snagged up.

DHC
02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
what do slip floats offer that clip on type of floats don't?I exclusively use clip on floats if i use a float,and grew up using them.They come off easily,i spose im not too familiar with slip floats.there's 2 EZ trout floats in the 152 pc trout magnet kit i have.Am i sposed to acually run the line through the plastic piece that goes into the float body or not?I don't like the idea of having to cut my line to take the float off.seems to me like a waste of time.

No. On the EZ Trout floats you take and run the line through the slit in the side of the float, then take the peg and peg it to stop it at that depth. You do NOT have to run it through the plastic peg piece.

bxn
02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
excellent!i will surely be using them sometime than!probly be good idea to add a small splitshot to the line right under it so tho float sits up right in the water and not on its side.thx for replies and info bout the floats :D

DHC
02-18-2010, 03:02 PM
The best split shot is the size that Trout Magnet sells on their website. It's hard to find that size in most stores. Any larger size really affects the way the bait works IMO. It really isn't necessary though if you are worried about the float standing up. It stands up pretty well on its own.

crappiejunky
02-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Sometimes when we are shooting docks or boathouses we'll use a slip float with a live minnow and fire it as far back under a boathouse as you can and just let it float around while you jig fish the remainder of the boathouse. We call that a "bonus" fish. Sometimes it works real good and it's alotta fun.

Locator79
02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Slip floats outwiegh fixed floats by a long shot!

*fish deeper
*cast farther
*faster depth changes
*no damage to line
*more accurate casts
*the list goes on and on

Fixed floats have there time and place, but rarely get used in my boat, unless I floating small jigs for bedding bluegill.

Fatman
02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
The only clip on floats I'll use are Betts, and only then to about 5-6 feet. Anything deeper it's a slip float.

Fatman

fished-out
02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Sometimes when we are shooting docks or boathouses we'll use a slip float with a live minnow and fire it as far back under a boathouse as you can and just let it float around while you jig fish the remainder of the boathouse. We call that a "bonus" fish. Sometimes it works real good and it's alotta fun.

That's interesting; I've done it with jigs, but thought the minnow wouldn't stay on the hook with the force of shooting it. How do you keep it on?

Smoky
02-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Give me a slip float anyday. Casting/pitching is easier, more accurate and the ability to fish closer to cover.

rnvinc
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I'll have to admit that I use slip floats for most applications that need a float....

The one application that I need a fixed float is spider riggin with floats....

It seems that the drag of the float in the water causes a slip float to slide down towards the bait....causing the baits to ride up shallower in the water...

I solved this by putting a bobber stop above AND below the slip float to keep the float in place on the line....

Then if I need to use it as a slip float...I can slide the bottom bobber stop all the way down to the bait out of the way and use the float as a regular slip float....