Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Before I Start Drilling Holes In My Boat ?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Before I Start Drilling Holes In My Boat ?

I have some hi-tech rod holders I want to mount to my Fiberglass boat. Do you drill a hole smaller than the screw like you do for an aluminum boat? Will the Metal Screws hold in Fiberglass? Any help appreciated. This is my first Glass Boat.

Post Thanks / Like

When I have to put a screw in and can't through bolt, I use a drill that is the same diameter as the shank of the screw, this isn't the threads part, this is the solid part. I drill a bit deeper than I expect the screw to go in and use a good sealant like 3M Marine adhesive 5200.

You want the threads to cut their way in, but not break out the fiberglass. Its best also to counter sink the hole slightly after you drill the hole and before you run the screw in. Just use a bit that is about 3x the size you're using to make the pilot hole.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

you made a good decision with the holders.i like to have someone else with me so they can hold them in place and i lower and raise the trolling motor to make sure they dont hit.the metal screws that come with the holders will hold.the fiberglass is harder to run a screw in so you will want a bit like fishtaco said.pm callshy and he will know what size bit to use

Post Thanks / Like

A 5/32" (.15625") drill bit will work best in the fibergalss. Make sure to use a #3 phillips head bit in the screw head to keep from stripping the head.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Chodie, if you're mounting in the shiny gel coat, you can run the bit in reverse and "burn" through to keep from chipping the gel or fiberglass. Once you're through, then you can drill like normal. Now if you're mounting through the carpet, that won't apply because it won't matter. That'd be especially true if you countersink in the gel or glass.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Chodie1. I orderd 4 sets of Hi-Teks this morning. Mabye the rain,snow and wind will let up enough so i can try them out in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Put masking tape on the fiberglass were you want to drill a hole. It helps to keep it from chipping. If you drill to small a hole in fiberglass it will also cause chipping.