PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to rig a Bass Assasin on a jighead?

Slabjerkin'
02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
My friend and I had a lengthy discussion today on how to rig the bass assasins on a jig. On the bass assasins, on what I call the rounded belly, there are grooves and I said that this is the side the hook comes out. My friend said the opposite and before you knew it, we were both beginning to wonder who was right and who was wrong? Any comments?

Crestliner08
02-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I got a chuckle out of your post because I've often wondered the very same thing! I really don't think it matters, but I did see an article in some mag showing the flat side down and the jig head's hook coming up through the round side. The wiggling tail is the main attraction! Great bait.

"G"
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't think it makes any difference to the fish. :D

Crappie Apprentice
02-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I too rig them with flat side down and the hook out the round side, but not sure it makes any difference.

This brings up how hook a crappie stinger? hmmmmm

lhumphre
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
flat side down with a drop of super glue cuz they come off easily..

Slabjerkin'
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys ..... but here was our main topic of discussion and why we got confused. Lol If you look at any picture in the supplier's catalog or whomever sells them, they are always showing the flat side up with the rounded belly underneath ... which leads one to believe that this is what it is suppose to look like when rigged properly. In other words, the tail is straight out from the flat side and the belly rounds up into the tail.

Cherokee Ref
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I rig them flat side up. Seems to be less plastic in the way of a good hook-up that way?

CrappieKillerJigs
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
i agree with cherokee...flat side up so there is a bigger gap for better hook sets

The Shootist
02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I dont know if it makes a difference or not but If Im shooting docks I put the flat side up,It just seems to skip better with the rounded side down.If Im dipping into brush I fish the flat side down,seems to fall with more action this way.I had to edit after I read the original post again. I assumed you were talking about a panfish assasins.

bigfish5
02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
i but the flat side down in shallow water. the flat side makes the bait fall just a little slower. when in deeper water i put the round belly down so it doesnt take as long to get to the bottom. thats the way i do it. dont know if it really matters but it seems to work for me.

Redy2Fish
02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
You could rig them "Wacky" and still catch fish. Great little bait!

J_ROW
02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
My friend and I had a lengthy discussion today on how to rig the bass assasins on a jig. On the bass assasins, on what I call the rounded belly, there are grooves and I said that this is the side the hook comes out. My friend said the opposite and before you knew it, we were both beginning to wonder who was right and who was wrong? Any comments?

Look at a minnow my friends. When it swims by is it's belly (ie the round part of it body) on the up side (top) or the down (bottom) side. Simple logic!!!!

brazman
02-17-2010, 11:45 PM
A minnow doesn't have a flat back or belly.
Simma down-a...

dedawg1149
02-18-2010, 12:13 AM
flat side up

Mike Andrews
02-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Flat side up but I use them mainly to shoot docks and they skip when rigged that way.

skeetbum
02-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I've always used em flat side down, Fish must like it as I catch fish with em. But just to answer the question if it matters I'm fishin em sideways next time out. Film at 11

CrappiePappy
02-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the quick response guys ..... but here was our main topic of discussion and why we got confused. Lol If you look at any picture in the supplier's catalog or whomever sells them, they are always showing the flat side up with the rounded belly underneath ... which leads one to believe that this is what it is suppose to look like when rigged properly. In other words, the tail is straight out from the flat side and the belly rounds up into the tail.

... if you look at the website pic : 1.5-inch Tiny Shads , Fishing Lures (http://www.bassassassin.com/c/-1-5-inch-Tiny-Shads/bass-fishing-lures/CAT-51B447/) you will see them pictured as flat side DOWN :p (the color scheme is generally the give away ... "color" on top, white or light on bottom) I just always assumed that they were meant to be fished with the flat side down ... because the nose of the bait, where the hook enters, is thicker on the round part ... and there's a ledge cut, where the flat part starts.

That's the way I hook'em, too .... whether casting or dock shooting. Not that that means it's the "best" way to do it, or even the "right" way to do it (as evidenced by the opposing hook-up position working as well ;) ) And I dare say that, as has been said already .... not sure it makes all that much difference which way is up :D

When using a 1/32oz or lighter jighead ... the flat side down rigging does make the bait "glide" erratically. Not so much so, with a 1/16oz jighead.

I don't have a problem with the round side up not leaving a big enough gap for a good hook-up .... I'm using #2 hooks in my jigheads, and there's plenty enough gap with them. Even when using a #4 hook .... if I thought there wasn't enough hook gap, I'd just thread the "assassin" on a little higher thru the core of the body ;) --- but, so far, that hasn't been necessary.

On the statement concerning the baits being shown in catalogs/websites, with the flat side up ..... they sometimes do the same thing with jigs & jigheads :eek: They show them with the hook turned down (as though you would run the hook thru the bait and have the hook coming out the bottom :rolleyes: ... rather than showing them the way they'd hang on the end of the line)

... cp :cool:

yankee doodler
02-18-2010, 05:52 PM
i agree with cherokee...flat side up so there is a bigger gap for better hook sets

Yup, and bend the point of the hook out a bit.

willk
02-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I was always told to fish the lighter color down. So that it looks more like a minnow. I have fished side by side with them both ways and lighter color on botom seemed to work much better.

crappieseeker
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
this bait has been one of my all time best producers and it is always flat side up for me. I have caught thousands on this bait rigged flat side up.