Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15" Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default 15" Crappie

In this area about 10 years ago it was not uncommon to catch several 15s on an outing. NOW ITS ALMOST RARE. Maybe a few a year. Is it the pressure, or did I forget how to catch them. How many do usually get ayear?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you consider "this area"?

Post Thanks / Like

KC area smithville perry clinton pomona melvern

Post Thanks / Like

Default even further

Quote Originally Posted by brushman View Post
    KC area smithville perry clinton pomona melvern
    do you still catch as many on your home waters?

Post Thanks / Like

When I started fishing at nine years old, it was for trout and bluegill with a fly rod. My dad taught me to keep just what we wanted to eat, not what our barber, or local restaurant owner wanted or what neighbors wanted or how many aunt lucie wanted to feed her family. I started fishing for crappie a few years ago and went with a guy who was good at it. It was nothing for him to keep 100 or more, either for the bragging rights, or to give to other people who did not fish. That practice has continued over many years and untold thousands of fish. Where have the fish gone. Look in the mirror and think about the number of fish you keep. Most crappie fisherman feel they have to have a freezer full of fish, to bad. There is nothing anyone of us can do about others personal habits when it comes to fishing, but look close to home for the answer to this perplexing question.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I've talk with a few fisheries biologiest and they claim our MO lakes are over populated with crappie. They also claim far more die of natural causes than are ever caught.

I've crappie fished all my life and have never caught a 15" crappie. I have noticed however the quality of crappie the last couple of years have been outstanding. Probably due to the extremely high water during the spawn and great shad hatches.

My guess is, just a guess - smaller younger fish tend to be more aggressive, therefore with more fish in the water the more apt to bite fish is a smaller one. Here's to hoping all catch a 15" fish this year!!!

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Rulers are just longer now!:p

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shockley32 View Post
    Interesting, I've talk with a few fisheries biologiest and they claim our MO lakes are over populated with crappie. They also claim far more die of natural causes than are ever caught. Brad
    Been told the same thing with not only crappie but spotted bass and the biologists are a far cry smarter than I am. But I know one thing, if I keep a fish then it darn sure isn't going to grow any bigger. Maybe all released fish aren't caught again but I'll take my chances. I keep fish but have no tolerance for someone that will keep beyond the limit or possession limit or try to blow up their ego by trying to feed the entire neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been crappie fishing for several years and have only caught two true 15" fish. Both of them were caught at Lake Fork in Texas while fishing live shiners for bass. I have caught 14" plus fish at Truman and Norfork in Arkansas.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

good one speckhunter!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast