Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for a beginning LongLiner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for a beginning LongLiner

I've never tried longlining and would like to give it a shot.

I've seen a the depth chart for trolling bandit crankbaits and was wondering if there is a similar one for trolling jigs? A chart that would break down what size jig/speed/length of line out to reach a desired depth....

Anybody seen anything like that?

CB
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing something a while ago but don't remember where. There are so many variables that it's really just easier to figure it out yourself. I longline a 1/16oz roadrunner jig tipped with a minnow on 8lb test line. I make a strong cast and troll around .8-1.0 mph. This puts my jig down around 10'-12'. It's easy to figure this out when you go over a shallow point and can see that your jig is touching bottom.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Most folks just cast their jigs out as far as they can cast behind the boat....about 60 ft. You control the depth by your speed...slow it will run deeper...faster it will run shallower. You just have to play with it and vary your speed untill you start catching fish...then run that speed.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing to do is get in some flats say 10ft and see what jig combo with a good cast going .09 will get you down there and then work up and down from there.

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Like G-3 and Buddy says : get out there and try some different combos
    These will be close when you are moving about .8 to 1.0 with 6 # line and a 2 in grub with a good cast length out behind the boat:
    1/32 oz. 3 to 6 foot
    1/24 oz. 6 to 10 foot
    1/16 oz 9 to 14 foot
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    - Tony Blake

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 use while fishing 14 to 12 foot
    1/24 10 to 6 foot
    1/32 6 foot up to 3 foot
    use 6 pound test
    .7 to 1.1 mph
    If your marking fish adjust your speed somewhere between these numbers until you get a bite.
    You what your jig running above them not below them

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Crappie Buster!

When they get right at mid lake, I will take you. A LM boy is always welcome in my boat. I am going to tight line friday but I thinking about switching over to pulling by Sunday. Speed and size/length of line out is the big key to successful trolling. A good GPS is a must for knowing your speed and variable speed trolling motor. Let me know when you want to go!