Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing for Crappie HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing for Crappie HELP

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me the best way to fish for crappie at night. It's been years since I have done this kind of thing. Thanks for your help

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

where's the Beast and its owner when you need 'em???

May want to cruise through the Carolina boards - boat loads of info on nitestalkers there.

Post Thanks / Like

OK ED--here's how we do it in the Carolinas. The idea is to use lights to attract baitfish which in turn attract crappies. Most use either a clamp on lite with 12v bulb or submersible lite like the Q-Beam available at Wal Mart or floating lites. There are lots of opinions as to which is best but they all seem to perform equally well. You will want a battery dedicated to whichever lite you choose. We use 2 anchors--1 out the front and one out the back to keep the boat steady. This helps in detecting the bite by keeping the boat still and allowing you to see the subtle movement of the rodtips. Painting the rodtips white helps you see the bite also. Settng up somewhere near where the crappies live will of course result in a better bite. Drop offs, points, deep lighted docks or submerged brushpiles are good spots. We usually dorp minnows over the side with a #4 hook and small split shot. If you are allowed to use multiple rods where you live I suggest starting with 4 set at different depths 'til you see what depth gives the best results. Try to use rods with very soft tips to show the bite better. Also watch the line where it enters the water. Sometimes the bite is indicated by a lateral movement of the line or a line going slack. You will need to do some experimentation to keep on top of the crappies as they change patterns as the year progresses. Hope this helps. If you have anymore question let us know. After you have assimulated this info we can move on to more advanced topics like the difference between taterchips, lifters, and netters....
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

How about time of year? How deep is too deep for this proceedure? Do you fish in the light, or just on the edges? (just for others info)
    Last edited by Big Zig; 09-30-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Take two(2) steps backward and a few minutes to breathe - I posted to help you out with some additional info. Not sure why you came out swinging, but I meant no offense to anyone. If you don't want my help - I'll keep my fingers off the keyboard. Welcome to the board by the way.............

Post Thanks / Like

Default edited by Moderator

Ed, your post bothers me - here's why I asked those questions:
    Certain times of year, nightlighting doesn't work as well as other times (early spring vs. summer).

I've found that water over the 25 foot mark isn't as good for the process as <20 feet.

Most of your larger fish will be caught just outside the lit area you will be fishing.

All of this information would have put a little more information on your plate - but it's only info that I've come across on the water I fish - I posted those questions after kunes description, hoping that someone would elaborate on what they have found. That's the whole purpose of a public forum, to learn from others. Again, I'm sorry that you think so highly of me, but I meant no disrespect
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-30-2004 at 04:34 PM. Reason: language

slab_seeker Guest

Big Zig, I would'nt let this guy bother you, he'll move on soon enough. I can't belive he got all upset over that.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation No tolerance rule is in effect and being enforced ...

Edwalden444 ...... there was no reason for the outbreak, language, or personal attack on Zig. You asked for help - and some members replied. It is not uncommon for other, related questions or comments to be tacked onto a post. Their questions and or comments are generally related to the original question or statement - thus expanding the question or comment for the benefit of all readers.

Your "reply/attack" was deleted ... due to being offensive in nature, and uncalled for.

You're new to the board - so this is just a warning ... but, any followup attacks or continued use of abusive or profane language will result in your being barred from this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Kunes pretty well covered the night fishing thing pretty good as far as im concerned. everyone has their own little tricks they apply to what they are doing, but the basics was well covered by kunes. some nights we bomb, like last night, but by and large we catch enough fish year round to keep everyone happy. apperantly ive missed some kind of confrontaion about something, and since i missed it and its been deleted all i can say is pay attention to what kunes had to say and you have a great starting point that you can apply to your own situation and make adjustments as needed to make it work for you. good luck.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

theres no hard and fast rule as to which is better, in the lights or out in the dark water. some nights we catch more in the light, and others its in the dark. other nights it dont seem to matter. one night several weeks ago, every fish we caught was directly in the lights and the very next night, they was caught in the dark water. try both places to see where they seem to hit the best that particular night. some nights they are shallow, some nights deep. theres no hard and fast rule you can use all the time. taterchips are small fish, not big enough to keep, unless theyve suicided themselves by swallowing a hook,, lifters are fish you can lift in the boat without needing a net, lifters can also mean the medicinal spirits we carry to ward off the bugs, cold night air or whatever needs warding off, and netters are fish that need a net to lift safely in the boat. sometimes Its a very fine line tween netters and lifters and crewmen aboard the beast and the crews of boats barged up with the beast sometimes get the two crossed and try to lift a netter and it drops off. when that happens the guilty angler is forced to attend lectures on the differences tween the two given by all who witnessed the catostrophic event.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast