Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Questions

We went to the Cabelas fishing expo last weekend and picked up 3 nice rod combos. 2 7-foot Gold Label spinning combos for crappie; fast action rods with beautiful dark brown graphite blanks. Plan to put high vis mono on them. Also picked up a 7 foot bass rig with an IM7 (very nice) graphite blank. All great deals.

My question, though, is about what I DIDN'T buy. Salesman saw me looking over the BnM rods (8-10 footers) and tried to talk us into buying one. Almost had me till it hit me, why do I need to buy a new 8-10 foot rod when I have a perfectly nice 9 foot flyrod that I use for trout fishing. Is there really any difference in a 9 foot "crappie" rod and a 9 foot flyrod? Can't you just replace the fly reel with a spinning reel and go? My only concern, really, is not wanting to damage the flyrod (it costed a bundle of $$).

Anyone else use a flyrod instead of a long "crappie" rod? And, is there really any difference? Sorry if this is a silly question, but what else is there to write about in mid-February when it is 20-something outside?!?:D
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I know several guys who use fly rods for crappie. They all say it is too lite when they're in serious fish, but like the lite feel when the fish are on a slow, lite bite......If you get a chance, you should try the feel of the 8'2" Outlaw......Sensitive and strong!!!!!
    Let's go Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

I used a fly rod for a couple of years crappie fishing. Caught a lot of fish with it. When I picked up my first 11' OZARK I couldn't believe the difference. The balance and sensitivity is unmatched in my opinion. It's just like anything else........use the right tool to do the job. OZARKS are the only long poles I will ever use dipping for slabs.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Orvis, Sage, Powells, TFO's, Fishers, Loomis, St.Croix, and others, all do double duty for me. If my 12 and 13 wt. will subdue Tuna and tarpon, do you seriously want to argue that their too "lite" for a crappie? A $400-$600 fly rod has more sensitivity than apparently some of you have ever known.

Don't run braid (guide grooving) and you'll love using your fly rods. Only problem is that 9' rods are standard lengths. If you don't need anything longer you'll really enjoy a 2 or 3 wt. with up to 1/8 0z. Use a 5/6 for 1/4, and a 7 to 9 wt. for heavier. I don't use my fly rods for trolling cause I don't want to break any. Easier to replace $40 to $60 trolling B&M's.

Guys there are a lot of ultra sensitive fly rods out there. Don't rag on a fly rod unless or until you understand that there is a much wider range of performance available than in the world of crappie specific rods.
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

if i ever paid 600.00 for a rod i would hang it above the mantel so nothing would happen to it...

Post Thanks / Like

The way i understand it the roots of our jigpoles came from flyrods so no i'm not gonna "rag" on em but i will say our jigpoles of today are designed to catch crappie flyrods are not and the difference in price alone makes buying a 10' ozark jigpole (my personal fav)worth the investment.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

$600=1 fly rod
    $600=12 to 15 Ozark 10 ft rods
    And I would not trade 1 of my Ozark's for 12 to 15 fly rods. Unless I had a buyer lined up for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'am partial to Ozark rods because of Tony's replacement policy, however I've heard alot of good things about Outlaw lately.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

don't have a fly rod, don't fly fish. i do trout fish with spinning reels and use my best crappie rods. the best crappie rods i have say Ozark on them. scratch that, the best crappie rod that ever been in my paws are Ozark brand. $40-55

only 2 places where i've seen them for sale is Everharts and the Tightwad C Store. where else sells Ozark rods?
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

Tony has a store in Versailles on Hwy. 52 573-378-2220
    Last edited by bugman; 02-18-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    Monk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast