Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Size what's too big for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size what's too big for crappie?

Do any of you use any 3in grubs, tubs etc?
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

3" curly tail is a personal favorite of mine, not nearly too big, at least to me!
    Last edited by J White; 12-07-2005 at 05:41 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 inch works great

Especially in the early early spring when them big mamma's are trying to gorge before spawn. Remember, that papermouth can open really big kinda like a python.
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well Mighty ...

since I have caught Crappie on 4" plastic craws, 1/2oz Spinnerbaits, and crankbaits that were 3" long (or longer) .... then, no - 3 inches isn't too big for Crappie. And I know of people that troll with 3" twin tail grubs. But, having said that ....... I still get more action and production from the 1.5-2 inch baits (live or artificial) -- including the larger sized fish (and sometimes they seem to prefer a smaller bait).

Crappie have a big mouth, in relation to body size. That's so they can "suck in" a large volume of water, in close proximity to their mouths, bringing the prey in with it ... so as not to have to "chase" down their prey, but ambush it at close range. That's their "preferred" method of catching a meal, since it uses less energy than the meal provides. And that would seem to indicate that a large, slow moving bait would elicit strikes from more/larger Crappie - but, that doesn't always seem to be the case. I've caught 2+lb Crappie on a <2" bait, only to discover upon cleaning the fish, that it's stomach contained the remains of a 3-4" baitfish One would wonder why, if the fish was catching prey of that size, would it even consider such a small offering Beats me, but they do ... LOL!!! ...........cp