Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I never knew the decision would be so tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I never knew the decision would be so tough.

I've been out of the crappie business since I moved to East TN from West TN six years ago. Always felt like I was missing something and I'm sure it's not being on the water. I used to drive 1.5 hours to fish Ky Lake religiously. Now I have a lake access about a mile down the road in our neighborhood and I'm not fishing.

Well with that said I have been scoping out both used and new boats for about two months now. I've driven as far as 4 hours to look at a F&F but it was a little too used for my liking. I've looked at G3's, Tritons, SeaArks and War Eagles. I've never bought a new car because you lose money when you drive it off the lot, but I am on the verge of buying a new boat. Although I would like a 2072 there isn't enough room for me to get it in the garage, so it looks like an 1860. G3 has a 1966 but I just don't like the layout of the boat, and truth be known an 1860 is big enough for us.

One thing about the SeaArks I like is that I can get the gas tank up near the bow, but the War Eagle is in the rear. Sea Ark has a 15 degree rise where War Eagle has a 12. Both boats can be protected with vinyl or SeaArk has a spray on Gator Hide or something like that. Both weigh about the same but the SeaArk is rated for a 90 and the War Eagle is rated for a 115. Both boats are close in price with the SeaArk being a little cheaper, but there is just something about the War Eagle I like. Can't quite put my finger on it.

But then comes motors. 2 vs. 4 strokes. Thanks to this forum I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject and have learned a lot. Pro's and cons to each. The E-Tech seems to be the real deal but I seem drawn to a 4 stroke, even though it's a little heavier. Put a 4 stroke on the War Eagle, with the gas and batteries back there then I wonder how well it rides and sits in the water.

And finding a used boat like I'm after is like finding a needle in a haystack. You can get 14-17' boats all day, but make that one foot jump to an 18' and they are scarce.

Grrrrrr.......too many decisions. It's about to drive the wife as crazy as it me. She's like make up your mind and go get something.

Sorry for the long post/vent.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I like my boat......garage too small too..

War Eagle Predator....I looked hard at the Xpress Crappie rig too.

No more boat hunting for me.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me Cane Pole, that is another one on the radar. It's just that I left it out of my long winded post. I've seen the many pictures on here and have been drooling. Just too scared to get a quote, but I may PM you.

Edit: One drawback is that I have a wife & two kids. Might get a little cramped in a Predator, although I'm not for sure how often all four of us would be in there together. Oldest boy is liable to be working in about another year, so his time might be limited.

See what I mean? Just more added confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole, what is your secret? Nobody keeps a boat that clean!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jignjim View Post
    Cane Pole, what is your secret? Nobody keeps a boat that clean!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Military training.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Tom...looks like it's never seen water! :D

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Big,

The Predator has 18 degree dead rise. Smooth ride for a time boat.
    Doodler, it gets used. Trust me.

You can see the dead rise. No one keeps them in stock. Same for the Xpress.
    I know.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice ride !!
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

CanePole, what kind of speed are you getting out of you setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Cane another question. Did you not get the aerated bait well up front? Looks like your electronics are in the way in this pic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast