Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Feedin fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feedin fish

I have been readin and seein alot bout this to help the growth of the fish...all I can find is floatin catfish food.....I got a 50 pound bag for like $17, but was wonderin do any of ya'll do this? I'm wanting to feed the fish in my familys farm pond. But was wonderin what ya'll do? I have heard some use corn, or scratch(chicken feed), or even cat or dog food. Any input thanks!!

Thanks,
    AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

The floating food you bought is perfect. The fish love it, and it will really help them to put on some pounds. I used to fish a small pond where the owner fed the fish regularly. It was a great pond.

BTW, he did not feed at all during winter. He started when the water was warmer, like late April or early May.

Post Thanks / Like

ac, if you have a dock or walkway on the pond you can train the fish to come up and eat out of your hand. really. i started by hand feeding the floating catfish food and getting them to come up to the dock. then i started taking a hammer and beating on the deck and throwing out some feed. wasn't long i could hammer on the deck and here they'd come looking for feed. bass, bream, and catfish. i started holding a worm at the top of the water and wasn't long till a bass would take it out of my hand. got pictures of them taking the worm but i don't know how to put them on the internet. you got a dock try it. i never could get the catfish to eat out of my hand but the bream and bass would.

old

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard that pet foods have different stuff in them that promotes the growth of algea, fish food doesn't have this. Check with those that would know, maybe a biologist, they could teel you more or if there's no difference. Dad told me of this lng time ago, he's gone since '93.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

we have a six acre pond that we feed everyday. mom feeds the same time everyday and the same spot.the fish are their waiting she gets there. i buy mostly floating but somtimes buy the sinking, the FRM brand. the largest catfish we ever had(10-15 lb) was when grandad got scraps from a resturant . they would push each other out on the bank to get those scraps. mom feeds the ducks corn and i see the fish eating the corn on the bottom and the ducks eating the fish food on top:rolleyes: we have some large bluegill i think that the food helped to get them big quick. within the first year they were big as my hand. we enjoy watching them feed more than catching them in the pond. and the kids like that it makes catching them easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Aquamax 500 or 600 it is made by Purina and it has a higher protein content than cat fish food it will make them grow faster. It is a little more expensive but it works great.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some plastic pipe about 2''diameter that will coil, make a ring about
    6-8 ft dia.tie it with a short rope,This will keep the floating food off the bank or out of the weeds! Always feed in this, my dad does this and the catfish can here him coming down the bank
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I started feeding the bream in my pond late spring last year and by fall they almost doubled in size. feed no more than they can clean up in about a half hour. They soon learned to come in when they hear me walking from 30 yds away. I tried the purina but the pellet size is too large for small fish. Stillwater milling in claremore makes their own and it is about half the size as the purina, or the big v brand from mcalister is also small pellet. It really doesn't take much feed to see a huge improvement in the fishes growth.

Good luck.
    Last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it!