Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinned crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Pinned crappie

I just talked to a guy in my office who told me as a kid he and his dad would pin crappie in the winter and wear them out. I obviously asked what in the heck pinning a crappie was. I was told that they would get a safety pin and stick it thru the top fin of a crappie and have the pin attached to a very light line and float. They then would release the crappie and it would go back to the school. They would just follow the float arround and know where the crappie were at all times. Just wondering if anyone had tried this? Sounds like it would work but so has alot of other hair brained ideas I have heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be unethical and probably against the law
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

how could that be against the law? I kinda like the idea but I'm sure he will get that line tangled pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of it before but have never tried it. Let us know how it works out anyone who does it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it once. That bobber went away at the speed of sound, right out of sight, and I never saw it again!
    I haven't tried it since.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

That is very illegal in Missouri, I like the idea but I sure wouldnt want to get caught.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I heard of it done with white bass in the lakes, but is very illegal in Texas according to local Parks/Wildlife people. Better check it out in your individual states. Supposedly very effective if you have a big enough cork.

Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Default I didnt know

I didnt know or even think about it being illegal. Compared to running yoyo's I certianly wouldnt think of it as unsportsman-like. I kinda look at it like a poor mans fish finder. I can see where it would work on some of the big resivors that dont have much if any cover, but on a lake with cover I dont see it working. I could see where you could use this method and absolutely kill the stripers though.

Again I have never tried it and just heard of it today. I am just trying to find a technique of catching crappie that works for me cause I suck at all the others.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I Would Think A Small Balloon Would Be Better Than A Bobber
    Shiner Fisherman Use Them Here In Fl. And They Will Hold A Good Sized Shiner ---should Try Them On These Fl. Lakes ---miles Of Open Wter With No Wood [don,t Know If Its Legal Or Not]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

This topic was brought up before about balloons and a few other things. It can and does work, but alot of factors can contribute to the success or unsuccessfulness of the technique. We talked about this sometime back, but dont know how long ago it was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast