PDA

View Full Version : GPS question

Drift_Wood
12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I am going to purchase a GPS soon and I am looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend. Have any of you guys used this GPS and did you buy the CD map and download any of it? I guess my question is this a good unit or is there others around the same price range that is better?

Billbob
12-05-2005, 11:17 AM
go to garmin . com find link for on line dealers i just bought a 76 map for 179.87 BIG SAVEINGS you will see a lot of stores check them all diferent prices my best on what i got was gps discount you can call the factory for product support at 18008001020

crappieseeker
12-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I just bought the Garmin Etrex Legend last week, I havent played with it yet. I just got my name and all that logged into it. I will probably try to figure it out some within the next couple of weeks.

sac-a-lait
12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I have the Etrex VISTA. No additional mapping software installed. Has my lake and everything already in it. No "back street" are on it but I only use mine for

Drift_Wood
12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Come on guys give me something to assure me lol. Guess if my name was Canepole, Weezur or Jerry Blake some of you would give me some advise. Oh yeah I forgot Fatboy lol. Just Kidding dont all you get in a up roar just post some thoughts on this GPS.

Cane Pole
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Come on guys give me something to assure me lol. Guess if my name was Canepole, Weezur or Jerry Blake some of you would give me some advise. Oh yeah I forgot Fatboy lol. Just Kidding dont all you get in a up roar just post some thoughts on this GPS.
Ha.... Garmin good stuff. I got the 276c. Also got the 128mb mem stick with it. I use fishing hot spots map. I will never go back to grayscale. Friend of mine has legend. He likes it. I also have garmin 76. I like it too. But I like the big screen and the color that comes with the 276c mostest. $600.00.. It only money.....................

crappieseeker
12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
sac-a-lait how do you know if it already has lakes in it. I am dumb when it comes to anything electronic. I have been reading my book and realize how little I know about this stuff, I'm not sure I will even figure out how to use the device. Where can i find some downloadable stuff for my etrex legend and does it cost money to download it?

Ranger375
12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
All depends on what YOU want your GPS unit to be able to do.

Check out the following websites
http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/manual.html

Also at the Garmin site
http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/
you can do a comparision of the various Garmin units. Gives you information on number of waypoints, number of routes, etc.

The "eTrex" does not have additional maps available is one thing I notice. I have just recently upgraded from Garmin Geko 201 to Garmin GPSMap 76. I'm still on the learning curve as to how to use the GPSMap 76, but with it I can upload maps such as 'Fishing hotpsots' or similar.

I've got the Garmin Geko 201 listed in the "Swap Meet" section. I'm selling the unit with PC cable for less that the list price of the "eTrek" alone.

Hope this helps you, but the main question is waht do you expect to be able to do with what ever GPS unit you decide on. Lots to choose from and wide range of prices.

papasage
12-05-2005, 06:13 PM
i have a garmin 72 still learnning how to use it myself . just got it to mark condoes i hope if i can learn how to do that i will be satisfied . got a tape at walmart listed for $9.95 . it was on sale for $4.95. it has ben a big help .

fatboy
12-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I use the Garmin Map 76 and like it very much. It is also good to use in a vehicle because it has built in maps of most major roads.

Jerry Blake
12-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I am going to purchase a GPS soon and I am looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend. Have any of you guys used this GPS and did you buy the CD map and download any of it? I guess my question is this a good unit or is there others around the same price range that is better?

Hey Terry:

I have a Geko 301 and it works great for getting back to brushpiles but the screen is pretty small and it doesn't have any mapping capabilities.

I had an Etrex Legend and it was also good for getting back to brushpiles but also has a small screen. It does come with a base map that gives a rough outline of bigger lakes but I don't think you can download any more detailed maps to it. I sold that unit to Darryl with the Kenner and it has since developed some internal power problems and doesn't work half the time (sorry Darryl).

I now use a Map76 Marine and it is a very good unit with a base map and enough memory that more detailed maps can be uploaded to it. It has a much bigger screen than the Gekos or Etrexes, which makes it a lot easier to see. If you can get it for $180 as was mentioned earlier, that is a very good price. I think I paid around $200 for mine from Walmart.com and they have since gone up.

The Geko 201 is also a good unit (the unit Ranger375 has for sale) - same as the 301 except that it doesn't have an electronic compass, which I never used on my 301 anyway.

Mapping isn't very usefull on handheald units until you get out in a fog or pitch darkness - then it comes in real handy.

When you get a GPS you will also want a data cable to connect to your computer and a 12-volt power supply because they are very hard on batteries. Some units come with data cables but most don't. I've purchased several cables for myself and others from - http://stores.ebay.com/RNRPLACE_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm - for much less than Garmin sells them for and have been happy with the quality.

Darryl Morris
12-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I use a Garmin GPS72. The GPS76 or the GPSMAP 76 are the newer models. These I recommend because they have a larger screen and easy to use.

crappieseeker
12-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Basically all I want to use mine for is to mark my starting point on a lake so that when I'm fishing unfamiliar water, I will be able to get back to the ramp. I also want to be able to mark and name fishing spots on different bodies of water so that I can find them again. Is the Etrex Legend good for this.

stray
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
If you are sure that is all you want and will want to do I would get the plan eTrex, I think it less than $100.00 at Bass Pro. I got one off Ebay that I use for coonhunting and it has only let me down once, operator error (I forgot to mark the truck when we headed to the dogs), I was still able to use the compass part and elevation (truck was down stream) to get me out of the woods. Now marking the general areas and finding them again is about all that the eTrex is good for (unless I haven’t found a use), but it’s great for that. You can enter coordinates from a map and find it that way to. I’m not sure what advantages that the Legend has over the plan eTrex, but I’m sure it will work for what you want because it is suppose to be a step up. I also think that Garmin is one of the best GPS companies on the market.

This is a link to the one I have.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20928&hvarSearchValue2=525&hvarSearchValue3=858&hvarSearchValue4=00&hvarTarget=search&AFID=&sourceid=&cmCat=SEARCHRESULTS

sac-a-lait
12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Mt etrex VISTA is idiot proof and I was scared of these things for whatever reason. I got mine, read about 5 pages of the manual and boom I had it down, I now have 30 "waypoints" saved where I have made drops. The units are very user friendly and like I said mine already had a pretty detailed map in it. Even if it doesn't show you "on water" you are still just marking a spot. I love it and not really why I was so scared of these things. Best gift I ever received.

Jerry Blake
12-06-2005, 08:56 PM
If you are sure that is all you want and will want to do I would get the plan eTrex, I think it less than $100.00 at Bass Pro. I got one off Ebay that I use for coonhunting and it has only let me down once, operator error (I forgot to mark the truck when we headed to the dogs), I was still able to use the compass part and elevation (truck was down stream) to get me out of the woods. Now marking the general areas and finding them again is about all that the eTrex is good for (unless I havenít found a use), but itís great for that. You can enter coordinates from a map and find it that way to. Iím not sure what advantages that the Legend has over the plan eTrex, but Iím sure it will work for what you want because it is suppose to be a step up. I also think that Garmin is one of the best GPS companies on the market.

This is a link to the one I have.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20928&hvarSearchValue2=525&hvarSearchValue3=858&hvarSearchValue4=00&hvarTarget=search&AFID=&sourceid=&cmCat=SEARCHRESULTS

I think the basic Etrex is not WAAS enabled, which is fine for getting back to something you can see like your truck. But for getting back to brushpiles that are underwater you will want a GPS that is WAAS enabled.

crappieseeker
12-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I got the Legend and it is WAAS enabled, but I am unable to use it cause I'm too dumb to figure it out.

stray
12-07-2005, 07:28 PM
I think the basic Etrex is not WAAS enabled, which is fine for getting back to something you can see like your truck. But for getting back to brushpiles that are underwater you will want a GPS that is WAAS enabled.

Thanks, but I knew that. I guess I should have quoted Crappieseeker.

Crappieseeker said ďBasically all I want to use mine for is to mark my starting point on a lake so that when I'm fishing unfamiliar water, I will be able to get back to the ramp. I also want to be able to mark and name fishing spots on different bodies of water so that I can find them again. Is the Etrex Legend good for this.Ē

I took that as he wanted to find the boat ramp (which you can see) and certain coves or other general areas. As I thought I made it clear that it wasnít good for pin pointing a location. Now for easy of use to keep you from getting lost I feel it is the easiest to use. It has 5 buttons power, page, up and down, and enter, all can be used with one hand. But yes you are right you canít pinpoint brush piles or condos, that is why I started with ďIf you are sure that is all you want and will want to doĒ. So I still stay with what I said. If all you want to do is find you way around on the lake (the ramp you left from, a certain cove, or bluff) I would get the Basic eTrex. If you think you might want to do more then, be prepared to have to up grade units.

ricky
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
I have the Legend. I gave $110 new in box on EBAY. I also saw some factory reconditioned with a new warranty selling on there for around $100. Do a search. If you are not in a big hurry you can get a good deal. Be sure to check the feedback. The Legend will do what you want to do and a whole lot more. The WAAS can be turned off (to save power) it also comes with the interface cable to hook up to your puter. It is my understanding that the Garmins are only able to download maps made by Garmin. Be aware this unit does not float and has a small screen while the 72,76, and 76 Map and will and has a little larger screen. The deciding point for me buying this kind is that it is the same one that my son has and I know that he knows alot more about opperating it than the others if I need help.

sac-a-lait
12-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Ricky...That sounds like the main selling point for your needs...Seems like the younger folk know more about the new technology.

Yea one thing I didn't mention is WATERPROOF is a necessity....I mean you are on a BOAT!!!

Drift_Wood
12-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Canepole I am stingy when it comes to money lol. Jerry Blake thanks for your input also, it was very informative just what I wanted to know. Since this is gonna be my "Christmas" present from my kids and wife I think I will want it to be NEW lol. But I did look at the Geko and thought about it but the wife says no so I guess I will be getting a Garmin 76 Marine. Them fellers over there in Bass Pro Shop know me by name now lol. It opened last week and I been there 4 times already I sure do like that place and Canepole if My Wife would let me I would not be so stingy lol. I sure do like that new Crappie Tracker "Red" sure would look good with me in it on one of these lakes around here for all the East Tennesse boys to see me in lol. But she says my Bass Tracker is all I am gonna get and I will have to wear it plum out before she is gonna let me have a Brand New one. I am gonna pay more for the GPS at Bass Pro Shop but the guys there say that if anything goes wrong with it they will take care of me also they said they would school me on how to use it so I guess if they gonna take the time to show me how to use it and take care of my purchase who could go wrong there? Thanks again fellers and Merry Christmas to you all. Terry

FishHunter
12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Drift_Wood, I have been using my Garmin e-Trex Legend since last Christmas. By far the best gift my family ever gave me! BUT, the unit is really limited unless you want to spent the money & buy the Recreational Lakes CD for the area that you want to fish. The amount of data that you will get is amazing. You will need to install into your home computer and then download onto the Garmin Handheld Unit before going to your favorite lake. Sounds a little involved but not all that tough to do. Having detaled maps on my PC lets me learn the lakes before I leave. When I get home from fishing I can transfer all my Waypoints that I created while on the lake back to the computer to use next time I go back to that lake. Probably can't make a lousy fisherman great, but will definately make a good fisherman better.(at finding NOT catching). Hope this helps, FishHunter

Drift_Wood
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks fishhunter thats what they telling me at BPS. They say the CD is 100 more dollars? And you get all the area from Ms River east (or) ms river west either one you gotta choice. Is this what you got? They also say you got a built in road map for all USA major roads already mapped in it. I am still looking lol. Terry

ricky
12-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey Ricky...That sounds like the main selling point for your needs...Seems like the younger folk know more about the new technology.

Yea one thing I didn't mention is WATERPROOF is a necessity....I mean you are on a BOAT!!!

Waterproof to 1 meter for 30 min. but will sink like a rock. I keep the long lanyard wraped around something.

crappieseeker
12-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I have the Legend. I gave $110 new in box on EBAY. I also saw some factory reconditioned with a new warranty selling on there for around $100. Do a search. If you are not in a big hurry you can get a good deal. Be sure to check the feedback. The Legend will do what you want to do and a whole lot more. The WAAS can be turned off (to save power) it also comes with the interface cable to hook up to your puter. It is my understanding that the Garmins are only able to download maps made by Garmin. Be aware this unit does not float and has a small screen while the 72,76, and 76 Map and will and has a little larger screen. The deciding point for me buying this kind is that it is the same one that my son has and I know that he knows alot more about opperating it than the others if I need help.
ricky, the legend is what I have also. I didnt think to check Ebay for it. I bought it at Wal-Mart $185 dollars tax and all. I havent had the chance to play with it on the water yet, but I still dont think I can figure it out, maybe I will just have to get out one day and use it instead of fishing "boy thats gonna be a hard one" Maybe you could give me a lesson on it. Can you name the waypoints on it or do you have to stick with the assigned numbers? Have you marked any spots with yours and been able to find them fairly easy?

ricky
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
ricky, the legend is what I have also. I didnt think to check Ebay for it. I bought it at Wal-Mart $185 dollars tax and all. I havent had the chance to play with it on the water yet, but I still dont think I can figure it out, maybe I will just have to get out one day and use it instead of fishing "boy thats gonna be a hard one" Maybe you could give me a lesson on it. Can you name the waypoints on it or do you have to stick with the assigned numbers? Have you marked any spots with yours and been able to find them fairly easy?

Yes I have. I don't have a lot of time on it but yes you can find the spots easy after a little practice. One feature I like is when you get into an area that is close to the waypoints, Just hit the find button then it will list the nearest waypoints then you go from there.
To rename the waypoint go to the waypoint then highlight the number the GPS assigns then change it. You can also assign a symbol (like a ramp) but I like a small square on the water because it doesnt take up a lot of space on the screen. Go to page 24 in the owner's manual.

Jerry Blake
12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
You can play with it on land until you get it figured out, Seeker - it really aint that hard.

Be sure and enable WAAS - the default setting is disabled. I also like to have the map orientation UP or Ahead rather than North. That way it shows your waypoints in relationship to the direction you are traveling.

I just use the "Map" screen and have it set up to "Show Waypoints". You can scroll out as much as 800 miles and down to as little as 20-feet. When you are in the area where your condos are that you have saved waypoints on you just scroll out until you see the waypoint you want and then scroll back in as you get close to it. When it shows you over your waypoint you'll see it on the graph.

jaycee
12-09-2005, 10:46 AM
I have the Garmin Map 76 and added the fishing lake software. I have been very happy with this model. I started to get a cheaper model but was told I would want more options later and might as well get the good one first go around.

I am glad I did.

The newer map 76 has more memory and has space for more way points.

The Garmin customer service upgraded mine on line when I called them with a question. Good customer service from Garmin.

Cane Pole
12-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Canepole I am stingy when it comes to money lol. Jerry Blake thanks for your input also, it was very informative just what I wanted to know. Since this is gonna be my "Christmas" present from my kids and wife I think I will want it to be NEW lol. But I did look at the Geko and thought about it but the wife says no so I guess I will be getting a Garmin 76 Marine. Them fellers over there in Bass Pro Shop know me by name now lol. It opened last week and I been there 4 times already I sure do like that place and Canepole if My Wife would let me I would not be so stingy lol. I sure do like that new Crappie Tracker "Red" sure would look good with me in it on one of these lakes around here for all the East Tennesse boys to see me in lol. But she says my Bass Tracker is all I am gonna get and I will have to wear it plum out before she is gonna let me have a Brand New one. I am gonna pay more for the GPS at Bass Pro Shop but the guys there say that if anything goes wrong with it they will take care of me also they said they would school me on how to use it so I guess if they gonna take the time to show me how to use it and take care of my purchase who could go wrong there? Thanks again fellers and Merry Christmas to you all. Terry

I preached on here about not needing a mapping gps. I gotta eat crow now. I really enjoy the mapping and the color, especially the color. Another thing, I am also lucky to live in an area where Pat Hahs has scanned the waters. It is really gonna simplify me fishing. If anyone ever fishes this area, I suggest u get the Ky Hydrographics sidescan maps. I am impressed, and, trust me, it is hard to impress me...ha..Besides, I needta spend me money, I can't take it with me. Wife says it will burn up...ummmmmmmmmm!!!!!

frank lawhead
12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Heh Tom Send Me The Addy Of The Side Scan Map And Tell Me What Numbers To Order For My April Trip

FishHunter
12-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks fishhunter thats what they telling me at BPS. They say the CD is 100 more dollars? And you get all the area from Ms River east (or) ms river west either one you gotta choice. Is this what you got? They also say you got a built in road map for all USA major roads already mapped in it. I am still looking lol. Terry
Drift_Wood, Yep, Over $100, but well worth it! I got East Region which has 24 US States and Ontario, Canada. I use the roadmap feature whenever I travel and other than the small screen for viewing it has been a huge help in not getting lost. Has gotten me off the water after being turned around in a terrible storm and helped me to get on a spot in complete fog the morning of a Tournament. How can you put a price tag on that? FishHunter