Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Leeches for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leeches for Crappie

Just curious if anyone has tried small leaches for crappie fishing. I was just curious because it would be so much easier to keep leaches over minnows. Hopefully some folks form the Ohio valley can leave some feedback because thats where im from but also want others feedback on using them. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Robin....

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie will bite on them but prefer Minnows better. It depends on if you have them in the waters that you fish. I use them in cooler water with some success. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCrazed View Post
    it would be so much easier to keep leaches over minnows.
    I'm not so sure about that. Plus, minnows are much easier to find. Every bait store sells them. Very few sell leeches (not in my neck of the woods, anyway.)

Post Thanks / Like

Here in the midwest (Kansas City area) they work just fine. But, I do much better on minnows. Also, I catch more largemouth bass and green sunfish on the leeches than I do crappie. In fact, 3 of my top ten bass have been caught on leeches (large ones). Leeches ball up and don't work too good for me unless the water is about 50-55 degrees or warmer. So, I agree with others that have said, minnows (or minnow imitations) are best.

Ralph