Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigs

I went to a crappie seminar at Cabela's today. It was better than most. The guy said it was legal to boat fish with multiple poles in MO if they were in holders and marked like a limb line with name, etc. Up to 33 hooks. Anyone know if this is true?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, and I don't see where they have to be in holders,,,,,just the additional poles over 3 is how I read it.

The following is a quote from the Missouri Conservation.........

"Sport Fishing: General Rules
    ■MethodsYou may take fish by pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line and jug line. If you use more than 3 poles at any one time, the additional poles must be labeled with your full name and address. Regardless of the method or number of poles, you may not use more than a total of 33 hooks at any one time. Hooks on trotlines must be staged at least 2 feet apart. Hooks on any type of line, as well as the line itself, must be attended every 24 hours or removed."

page 6.............
    http://mdc.mo.gov/documents/regs/fishsum.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MB. Guess I had never seen anyone with that many poles out. Sounds legal.

Post Thanks / Like

ditto what musky said
    Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one and some stink worse than others!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there also. Charlie is a very knowledgable fisherman and will answer any questions you ask him. He is correct on the number of rods. Most people just use address labels and stick them to their rods and cover with tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so a person can have mutliple poles (over 3), but how many is necessary to catch a limit of crappie? Charlie mentioned that one time he and his son had fish on all the 14 poles that were out.
    Is this for the tournament fishing or for everyday fishing. I just don't get it for the everyday fishing. If a person can't catch some crappie with 3 poles, what makes them think they are better fishermen to catch one using more than 3 poles? I just don't understand why spider rigging more than 2 (3 at the most) would be popular unless one is into tournament fishing. I just don't get it.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you know how finicky crappie can be...one day they like one color jig and the next day they will not look at that one. Spider rigging gives you the opportunity to present many different color jigs at one time...it makes it easier to find out what they want. It also allows you to run each bait at a different depth thus making it easier to find out what depth you need to be fishing. After the spawn is over crappie can be difficult to locate....easing around with a spider rig makes locating the fish easier as well. The number of poles out is really not that big of a deal because after all.....when you catch your limit....you have caught your limit. It does not matter if you used one pole or 8 poles.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people say the same things about it that you have until they try it. It is a very fun way to fish. You get both guys up front and talk with out having to holler at each other. Some also say it is boring. But when you get a rod or two hung up and a fish or two on other rods it gets real exciting real quick. It is a great search tool for prespawn and post spawn fish. But during the spawn is where I think it shines. When people are casting jigs to the bank and catching males. I can stay out on the first break line off the bank and pick up the big females. It can turn a early spring day with out a bite into limits. I do not eat fish but sure like to catch them. So if multiple rods is what it takes than I am going to do it. If you want to give it a try sometime let me know. If you do not like it we will go dip the trees and catch them that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    A lot of people say the same things about it that you have until they try it. It is a very fun way to fish. You get both guys up front and talk with out having to holler at each other. Some also say it is boring. But when you get a rod or two hung up and a fish or two on other rods it gets real exciting real quick. It is a great search tool for prespawn and post spawn fish. But during the spawn is where I think it shines. When people are casting jigs to the bank and catching males. I can stay out on the first break line off the bank and pick up the big females. It can turn a early spring day with out a bite into limits. I do not eat fish but sure like to catch them. So if multiple rods is what it takes than I am going to do it. If you want to give it a try sometime let me know. If you do not like it we will go dip the trees and catch them that way.
    Thanks for the invite. Some day I may want to try that. Funny you should mention during spawn when males are on the bank to stay out on the first break line to pick up the big females. Charlie mentioned something similar. I think he said break line or around 8 to 10 feet deep. Something to remember.

Post Thanks / Like

It didn't look like something I would like to do either. My favorite method is dipping, but I can't catch them like that all the time. I like to catch fish better than I like to be bull headed and stick with something that isn't working. I just recently started using a double jig/bobber rig too. I didn't think I was a bobber watcher either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast