Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Techniques

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crappie Techniques

I would like some information from you fisherman.

What do you use mostly when fishing for crappie..
    1. Plastic twistertails on jig
    2. Tubes on Jig
    3. Purchased jigs already finished
    4. Just a Jig and minnows
    5. Tip off 1 or 2 with a wax worm

I usually use 1/16 or 1/32 weight jigs..
    Water I am fishing is 4ft to 15ft deep..

I am just wandering if I am doing everything
    the right way so I can catch more crappie
    up north ...

I am trying to convice the wife to move to Tennessee or Kentucky
    so I can fish in the winter without freezing..

I han't had much luck but haven't stopped trying

Post Thanks / Like

I vertical jig pre-tied hair jigs like these - http://www.21st-century-slaters.com/Thread-Nec.html - in 1/32-ounce most of the time and tip them with a small minnow if the bite is slow. When they go deep - over 15-feet - I usually switch to a 1/16th ounce jig, especially if there is much wind. When they are on the beds I go to a 1/48th ounce jig and there's no need for a minnow then.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry, I normally use 1/8oz hand tied jigs tipped with minnow when locating. When I am in heavy cover, and the wind is very low, I will tie on one of the smaller 1/32-1/64th hand tied like I gave you today. I catch much bigger fish on average using these smaller jigs. The only way I can justify why is only a guess though. I feel that the big slabs, (2lbs+) will not chase a bait and simply stay in their comfort zone and "suck in" the smaller freebies that make the mistake of swimming directly in front of them. The lighter jig can be sucked in easy with very little effort. The heavier jigs may not make the trip, thus not triggering a strike. Does this make any sense? I have no scientific fact to back this up. It is just my theory. I do know however, I catch bigger crappie on the smaller jigs. Most all seem to hit within 3' of the bottom, no matter what depth I am fishing. It's why I always drop down to the bottom and bring my bait up about a 1' once I have located some fish.
    I urge you to try this the next time you are out and the wind is low enough to allow using the "micro" jigs and you have found some crappie on your structure. Tip the jig with one of the smaller rosey reds as well, but, there are definately times the jig bite will surpass the live bait (albiet rare).

You can attach a small split shot about 3-4 inches above the jig for a little extra weight.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 12-04-2005 at 09:22 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep it simple and cheap. I use jig heads and tube bodies.

I like the reapers point about the weight. Does have to be calmer for lighter weights. While I agree somewhat with his theory about the lighter jig heads and bigger fish...I simply think it's a more natural presentation. Big fish didn't get big by being stupid. The lighter weight keeps the bait in front of the fish longer as far as I'm concerned. As I stated in an earlier post I try and see what the fish is seeing in my minds eye and to me, if I was a fish, and some light weight tidbit came fluttering by instead of some heavy something zooing by my face, well the tidbit is gonna get hammered down 9 times out of 10.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always heard, bigger bait-bigger fish. You say that you dont think the slab crappie will chase a bait out of his comfort zone. I agree with you a little bit. It all depends on many factors. I have heard that a fish is more likely to chase a larger bait, due to the fact that it is worth the effort more than chasing a small bait. If you were hungry and siting all comfortable on the couch, your wife tells you, I aint cooking tonight, we can go half a block and get a hamburger, or we can go the whole block and get a big 12 oz steak. If your gonna make the effort to go get something, your surely gonna get whats gonna feel you up for going through the effort. This is just a simple example. Now definatley water temps and other things effect this at times, but it does make sense. I do catch alot more fish on smaller baits, but if I catch any on a big lure, it's usually a bigger fish. I have caught a few big crappie on a rattle trap, and never a small one, now they definately have to be chasing to catch that thing. Crappie Reaper, you said there are times when the jig bite will definately surpass the live bait "albeit rare", Wow, I would have said just the opposite. There are times when live bait will surpass the jig bite "albeit rare"

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well Charlie ...

I go with #2 - #3 - #4 :p (and pretty much in that order)

#2 - I'm pretty much a jig slinger ... casting and swimming the jig back on a slow retrieve. I'll use tubes or Panfish Assassins, in most cases.
    #3 - those would usually be Roadrunners, or P&S Custom Tackle feather/hair jigs.
    #4 - I use Oldham's Surelock Weedless Crappie jigheads, P&S Custom Tackle weedless jigheads (the same jigheads I use for my plastics), and some of the Crappie Magic (painted) jigheads.

I also employ a couple of other "techniques" - Shooting docks & Vertical Casting ... and use the above mentioned jigs, with the exception of the Roadrunners (those are specifically used for cast & retrieve).

My mainstay size/weight is a 1/16oz ... but, occasionally I will use a 1/32oz. Most of my fishing is between a couple of feet deep and 20ft deep ... with 6-12ft deep being the "norm" (that's where the "zone" is, for jig casting methods - at least in the lakes and time of year I fish).

Some lakes in KY will freeze over in Winter ... but, usually not enough to "ice fish" thru. And it gets pretty cold here, too ... LOL!! You sure she isn't reluctant to move to a warmer climate, because she's afraid she'll become a "Anglers Widow" .... LOL!! .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I was just stating from personal experience. I agree most times that "big bait, big fish" theory is right. I am talking about when the bigger crappie seem to be finicky. I am only trying to suggest something for people to try for themselves. By no means was I trying to state anything as factual. But, I do know that different methods, at the right time can be effective when the bite is slow. I also try my best not to compare fish to human thoughts. It's more of a predator vs. prey thing to me. Thus, a micro jig allows virtually no effort for a slab to take in.
    Those of you who have caught the bigger crappie know that most times that they hit, it is so light and you can't allow yourself to be "Asleep at the Reel".
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I agree totally with crappiepappy-I Use methods 2&3 Almost all the time!The only thing I don"t do is #4. I loose to many fish weedless!!I also use the same weights and depths.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Reaper, I agree with your suggestion, and in no way was I implying that you were stating it as factual. I was just throwing out a comparison to show differences. It was easy for me to give a human example to compare, not implying that fish are like humans. We are both on the same page. I know what you mean about those big crappie biting light. Sometimes I never feel the monsters when they bite, but those little 7 inchers will jerk the rod out of your hand. I fish like crappiepappy somewhat, I generally stick to 1/16 oz jigs. I cast and vertical jig with tubes and assassins. Minnows if I use them get used at night, jigs during daylight hours. From time to time I will tip a jig with a minoow. Yes Fatboy, you caught me if you read this.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Reaper, I forgot to mention that sometimes its a match the hatch situation also. They could only be biting the same size as the food supply they have been feeding on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast