Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new cell phone, for using when fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking about a new cell phone, for using when fishing

Has any one heard any pro's or con's about the MOTOROLA TUNDRA.

This maybe the phone I am looking for.

1) a rugged 3G clamshell device with a tough exterior that can withstand harsh environments.

2) designed to withstand the most strenuous conditions, meeting US 810F Military Specifications (MIL) for drop, dust, vibration, humidity, severe temperatures and rain.

3)waterproof

4)GPS
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

i have looked at getting one of these but from what i have heard they arnt as strong as what they say....
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Motorola i580 and is nearly identical to the Tundra.

I really like my 580, and they're more durable than one might think. I work construction and can kill a wimpy phone pretty quick. A friend and coworker has the 580 and dropped his in the mud and then a forklift ran over it, we found it when I called him by his his ring tone... yeah it was still ringing in the mud after being run over by a 10,000 lb forklift, he picked it up and cleaned it off and it's still working today!

As far as the Tundra and 580 being waterproof, they aren't... they're water and rain resistant, I think they'd fare a lot better than any other phone being submersed... but I wouldn't leave it under water for very long at all.

They're very good phones with lots of bells and whistles and I like the removeable micro SD card feature! I've got about 2 hrs. of music on mine and play it out on the lake when the fishin' is slow.

The cameras aren't that good, but you're not buying a camera... you're buying a phone!

You will have to subscribe for the GPS feature and it will be an addition to your monthly bill.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Samsung Rugby, same specs as the Tundra but $100 cheaper. I have left it out on the deck of my boat all day in a driving rain storm, and it was no worse for wear. Extremely durable and water resistant, it would be perfect if it would float.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the samsung rugby. Built to take the abuse. Only thing I don't like is the color (Yellow) but now they have it in black. Very good phone for the rough people like me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwightparks View Post
    I also have the samsung rugby. Built to take the abuse. Only thing I don't like is the color (Yellow) but now they have it in black. Very good phone for the rough people like me.
    Mine is black, it also has the gps, but you have to pay for that feature.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I have the motorola Quantico also built to Military Specs for rugged use. Yes water resistant up to 3 feet of water for 30 minutes, rubberized coating against shock, vibration, & blowing rain. Great phone got it with US Cellular service in Illinois. I believe this same phone(or pretty close to it) is sold with different model names from the different services, re sprint, Verizon etc. I do not have the GPS turned on nor do I use the music feature, oldschool type of person but I do use the camera.:D
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Paul and I both have the Motorola Barrage. It's mil spec also. We're liking ours so far, just got them about a month ago. We shopped phones on the internet and at the AT&T and Verizon stores, too. In our part of the world Verizon has much better coverage so we switched from AT&T. The Tundra is only available with AT&T and the Barrage is through Verizon. Here's the kicker, though - our phones were $150 bucks each at the store, but when I went directly to Motorola's website, I got the phones for $30 bucks each with a 2 year contract. Huge difference!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G'z One It is with Verizon, best phone I have ever owned. I'm a plumber (plumcrappie) and my phone has gotten soaked a lot of times. Has never slowed down. I will take it in the shower with me. and have taken pic under water with it. Has the GPS on it but, I have never used that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default samsung rugby for me

I have the Samsung Rugby and have found it to be tough and durable. I am very tough on phones and have found the Rugby to be just what was needed. There are some very interesting videos about the Rugby on YouTube that you might enjoy. Griz
    "Be very kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    — St. Philo of Alexandra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast