Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electric fillet knives

Post Thanks / Like

Question electric fillet knives

I’m wondering about electric fillet knives, I know some of you use them and like them. I’ve always used a sharp regular fillet knife, but I’ve been asked about Christmas ideas and that was one thing that I’ve thought I might like. I need first and foremost comparison on advantages and disadvantages compared to a regular knife? And what to look for in the different electric knives. Thanks for any information you give?

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, been using those electric filet knives (regular ole kitchen type) for a few years and get angry once in awhile at them. Went and bought me one made or marketed under the name "American Angler" and a set of extra blades and couldn't be happier. On sale they were less than 20 bucks for all. I'm tight but like good quality and I did good on both counts there. Should be able to visit "Wally World" and pick these up. Good luck and hope you wear them out with all you catch. Fred aka "Ferdi

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Stray ...

I have both the Mr Twister and the American Angler elec knives ... I give the AA knife a slight advantage edge over the MT knife, for one reason - the AA knife has a straight elec cord. The Mr Twister knife has a coiled cord, and it seems to have the tendancy to pull out of the elec socket, if the socket isn't located very close to the filleting area. The Mr Twister coiled cord also has constant "tension" against your hand, making it more tiring to use (if used over a long period, and the socket is not close by).
    They are both the 110V type. And I purchased "extra" blades for them ... longer blades than what comes with them (which I think is usually 8" blades). They are both over 10yrs old, and still going strong.
    The advantage of elec over the reg fillet knife, is simply speed. You really don't give up any more meat, by using an elec knife, than you do with a reg fillet knife ... once you get the hang of using one.
    Oh, and I didn't discard my reg fillet knives, either ... I keep them in the same carrying pouch as my elec knives. I use them to do the finishing trimming on the fillets, when needed.
    One thing is for sure ...... a dull elec knife blade will still fillet a fish a lot faster and easier than a dull fillet knife :rolleyes: ...LOL!! ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the American Angler (DC - 12 volt model) and thoroughly believe it makes the job easier. Once you get used to it you can fillet everything from small bream to large stripers or catfish. There are other more expensive models that have both AC and DC connections.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I only use electric knives. I can clean a mess of Crappie with an electric knife faster than someone can clean 5 with a conventional filet knife.

I don't buy the brands marketed as fishing knives per say, I buy the Hamilton Beach at Bed & Body works. This is the SAME knife with the 100 watt motor I think made for cutting roast beef, etc. I was looking at the selections of MT and AA and the like and called my friend in Pensacola who is a deck hand on a charter boat. He said the ONLY knife he uses is the Hamilton Beach. and he filets some series fishes with some serious bones. He said the motor was stronger, longer warranty AND that the blades were Tungston tipped. Now his knife is a little older than mine but I bought one about 4 years ago to replace an even OLDER electric knife (that I still have as a back up) and hadn't even had to chage the blades yet. Still razor sharp. I can clean a 1 pound crappie as easily as a 30 pound blue cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    The Mr Twister coiled cord also has constant "tension" against your hand, making it more tiring to use (if used over a long period, and the socket is not close by).
    Don't know what kind my elec knife is, but for speed I would never go to a plain knife.
    CP; I like the way you slipped in about how MANY fish you have to clean (which means hopefully you caught'em!! :D ). I would hope that all of our arms get tired having to clean fish!! That's a good kind of tired!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12 volt and 110. Use the blade that came with the AA in both. Never will go back to a standard knife again.
    Also i cut a piece of 3/4" PVC as long as the blade. And Keep it over the blade. No more sharp blade cutting stuff.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Rapala AC-DC which has 2 blades with it. Plenty of power with a short blade and a longer blade for larger fish. It has a carrying case and a cutting board with it if you carry it on the boat.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've have AA for 5 yrs bought extra blades never used them . just bought new AA salt water has metal gears , probably will never have to use it . LOL

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple more questions

Thanks, a bunch gays. I have a couple more questions. Is there anyone that has tried the electric knives and went back to a regular fillet knife? I was told to stay away from the AA cordless knife, are there any good cordless knives out there (I know I love my cordless drill and saw) or am I best to stay away from them?

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast