PDA

View Full Version : Crappie identifiers?

Cane Pole
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
What's this besides good eating?:)

sac-a-lait
02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
looks like a stuffed fish to me. An artist rendition of a Black Crappie so to speak. And if that there ruler says 20 inches then you lookin at a 3 pounder unless it came from Arkansas then it weighed 4 pounds.

Locator79
02-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Looks like something I have yet to get my hands on!!

STUMP HUNTER
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
With the fish laying on deck boards I would say it's a 20'' slab crappie. Nice crappie.

J_ROW
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Looks like a big ol Black Crappie to me.

Good Stuff
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Looks like it's time to re-stain the deck.:D

Cane Pole
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Looks like it's time to re-stain the deck.:D

Thanks.

Cane Pole
02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
looks like a stuffed fish to me. An artist rendition of a Black Crappie so to speak. And if that there ruler says 20 inches then you lookin at a 3 pounder unless it came from Arkansas then it weighed 4 pounds.

You gun shy of me Sac?

creekslick
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM

If I caught it in Arkansas it would have weighed 5 pounds.:p:D

c1bigocarp
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I would not want to eat that fish. Plastic is too hard on the teeth!:D I would strip and sand the deck before staining. You get a better finished product.

GCD
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
That thing there is one of those Speckled Calico Perch type Basses!

You really should study up on your fish ID Mr. CP.:D

rancrappie
02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
looks like good eating to me

Micropterus salmoides
02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
dunno about all that crappie talk, but looks like an everyday run of the mill sacalait to me....;)

it's a goodn
02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Looks like you have a very talented taxidermist. Nice fish by the way.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Where can I get a tape measure like that.? Maybe my wife will finally believe what I have been telling her all along.

rnvinc
02-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Where can I get a tape measure like that.? Maybe my wife will finally believe what I have been telling her all along.

:D:D:D:D....ditto dat.....

DRPEPPER
02-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac-a-lait

If I caught it in Arkansas it would have weighed 5 pounds.

Creekslick
That is at least a 5 pounder. might go 5 1/2?
DP

GoneCrappieFishing
02-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I think its a white crappie, painted up like a black crappie. I count 6 spines on the top, which is white crappie characteristics and looks like 5 on its anal fins, which also says white crappie.The length of the fish could be either but more likely the whites get longer, or the ones I have seen have been that way.Where I am, the blacks just get thicker and thicker but not hardly that long if they have a long life.May be wrong, just my guess here.lol :)

GCD
02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
I think its a white crappie, painted up like a black crappie. I count 6 spines on the top, which is white crappie characteristics and looks like 5 on its anal fins, which also says white crappie.The length of the fish could be either but more likely the whites get longer, or the ones I have seen have been that way.Where I am, the blacks just get thicker and thicker but not hardly that long if they have a long life.May be wrong, just my guess here.lol :)

I was wondering who was going to say that.;)

My guess is that it's a big male White caught during the spawn, the male Whites get a lot darker during the spawn and can be confused for a Black Crappie... if those are indeed the colors he was when he was caught.

speckfinder
02-13-2010, 12:40 PM

I think you are right

CrappiePappy
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
... it could very well be a naturally occuring hybrid. It has characteristics of both White (shape - spines) and Black (coloration pattern) Crappie. When I first looked at the pic ... that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Looks alot like the KY State Record Crappie ... same length ~ ... same coloration ... and the KY record Crappie was a 4lbs 14oz hybrid cross :eek:

From the looks of the pic ... if the fish's mouth was closed, and the tape was adjusted ... it would be around 21.5" long. (approx length of KY record fish)

... cp :cool:

Cane Pole
02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
... it could very well be a naturally occuring hybrid. It has characteristics of both White (shape - spines) and Black (coloration pattern) Crappie. When I first looked at the pic ... that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Looks alot like the KY State Record Crappie ... same length ~ ... same coloration ... and the KY record Crappie was a 4lbs 14oz hybrid cross :eek:

From the looks of the pic ... if the fish's mouth was closed, and the tape was adjusted ... it would be around 21.5" long. (approx length of KY record fish)

... cp :cool:

Exactly. It is a natural hybrid. I believe they look more like the blacks than the whites.

Jwhite and I were fishing a couple years ago. We caught one and couldn't really tell what it really was.

bugman
02-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Got one like that on my wall(not that big of course)still the biggest fish i've taken from my home lake.

Fishtaco
02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac-a-lait

If I caught it in Arkansas it would have weighed 5 pounds.

Creekslick
That is at least a 5 pounder. might go 5 1/2?
DP

5.32 lbs without a problem. I keep split shot for just such an occasion.

Yates
02-15-2010, 12:01 AM

is that fish on the deck... what size board did you use in that deck

gabowman
02-15-2010, 12:04 AM

BIG!:eek::eek:

Herewego
02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
That is one big fish.