Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you rig your noodle/jug?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you rig your noodle/jug?

I'm wanting to noodle/jug fish in a lake that's about 12 foot deep. How do you rig everthing from the noodle to the other end? How is the line is attached, hook and weight, the whole nine yards?.

Thanks

Harold
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hey there Harold.
    I use pool noodles from Walmart or Dollar Store. You should get 4 fishing noodles from one pool noodle. Put a 1/2 inch pvc pipe about the same length
    into the noodle. On one end of the pipe drill a hole through the pipe to tie your line . On the other end put a nail or screw through the noodle and pipe to keep a big fish from pulling it out. I learned this the hard way. On a lake that is 12 foot deep I would use 6-8 foot of line. I use a swivel to keep the twisting down. The size of the hooks depend on the size of the fish in the lake you fish. A 6/0 or 7/0 hook seems to catch all size of fish. I know personally a 15 inch foam noodle will catch a 50+ pound catfish. I bait with bluegill hooked in the back or minnows that are stringed on. I put the swivel about 18 inches above the hook. You can get a storage box at Walmart with a good lid to store and transport your noodles. You will need a long stick or pole with a hook in the end to retrieve your noodles. Check your local regulations as all states are different . In Kentucky you are allowed 50 per boat. In Tennessee you are allowed
    50 per person. Good Luck!

Larrykentucky

Post Thanks / Like

Larry,

Do you use any type of weight, if so where do you attach it to the line?
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

One of my noodles this a Wal -Mart one,, but can do them with 1/2" or 3/4 pvc ,, 3 to 20 foot of line 1/2oz egg 5 to 8/0 Circle hooks eH

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forum...pictureid=2605
    Last edited by olducker; 02-14-2010 at 08:17 PM.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away,GC-Tim

Post Thanks / Like

cut noodles about 18 to 24 inches long we used 30lb test stren,we use different depths from 4ft to 12ft,putting a swivel in the line so it dont twist and use 4/0 or 5/0 circle hooks ..with bell sinkers about 1 ft from the hooks

Post Thanks / Like

We use the solid pool noodles and straighten out a coat hanger.
    Cut the hanger about 7-8 inches longer than the noodle. Mark 3 inches on each end of the wire.
    Bend one end, insert through the noodle and the bent end into the noodle. Bend the other and slide the noodle down until you can insert the bent end into the noodle.YOu can tye you line onto either end. We use 1/2 oz egg sinkers. We get 5 out of one noodle.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Arkansas it's 20 noodles per person. At Lake Nimrod we cut noodles into 3 sections. Run a 150-200 lb test braided line through the hole and tie on a 5/0 or 6/0 Stainless Steel hook. Our lines can be 6' to 9' long , but have seen 2' work for Channel Catfish. When using big bait we sometimes add a swivel above hook about 18'' to avoid twist. Our biggest has been about 41 lbs on noodles here. For bait we like live Green Sunfish as big as we can catch, but use any live Bream when that's all we can get. Try to keep it simple, making them fancy just adds cost for us.

Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to hi-jack, but, do you have to have some type of identification info on them? Name or phone #? What if one were to find them left unattended with no info - are they "fair-game"? Just curious.

Thanks.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Arkansas law: Free floating fishing devises must be attended at all times except sunset till sunrise. Owners name and address or valid vehicle tag number marked in perment marker on each one.
    I would not bother anyones noodle or jug unless it was left for several days. We caught some folks running ours. They were warned once , second time they got lucky as we had kids with us otherwise it could have gotten nasty. I started to ram them broad side with my boat after telling them the first time. Some folks don't learn very fast.:rolleyes: Besides if they were not being legal and WO caught you running them it would be the same as yours.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I use a pretty good size swivel and no sinker. The swivel will help hold the line down and keeps the cats from twisting up the line. I put the swivel about two foot from the hook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast