Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: newbie question

Post Thanks / Like

Default newbie question

I wanted to get a couple new 8 foot rods. so i was on bps and found thisWally Marshall™ Pro Series Crappie Jigging Poles. it wa interesting because the front grip is longer and has a cutout so you can feel the blank to hopefully actually feel some of the lighter bites. anyway i went and read all the reviews and the QA. what i read was to pair it with a micro spinner or a size 25 spinning reel. So i call bps and they recommend a pro qualifer reel that is also a spinner. SO yesterday i get the rods and to me they have casting guides on them. so i again check with bps and again they tell me the recommended reels are spinning. So i go in the garage and look at me millions of rods, what becomes clear to me is the name sticker or graphics for te rod is always on the side that faces up. so on a casting rod where the guides face up that is where the name badge is . and on a spinning rod the name badge is on the oppisite side of the guides. this is 100% consistant for every rod i own. So my question is why are the guides so small? there must be a reason. Does any of you crappie experts know why this is. I really got to know. so when the dude on te lake tells me i am fishing with my rod upside down and with the wrong reel i will have a good answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observation about the name sticker, never noticed that. I assume it is placed on the "up side" so that it is always visible to the user to keep that name and image in our mind, if only subliminaly. I am far from an expert on poles, but concerning the small guides you asked about, since most crappie fishing doesn't involve casting there is no need for large eyes and smaller eyes make storage easier and less breakage. Again, I'm just guessing in the dark here. I'm sure others on this board know the answer to your question for certain. I'd like to hear it myself.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I will be casting a bit I guess I think these rods wiLl be a kick on stocker trout out her in calif. I have tried casting them with a micro spinning reel and I don't really see a problem.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Jigging poles are made for jigging not casting...thus they have small eyes. We do use spinning reels with them though and if you want to cast oner...well they cast pretty dadgummed good.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-3 Fisherman View Post
    Jigging poles are made for jigging not casting...thus they have small eyes.
    I don't use these rods, but that's what I thought the reason was. I was just waiting for somebody to confirm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-3 Fisherman View Post
    Jigging poles are made for jigging not casting...thus they have small eyes. We do use spinning reels with them though and if you want to cast oner...well they cast pretty dadgummed good.
    Exactly....I have a couple of the rods your looking at and love them. I have small inexpensive spinning reels mounted on them, and they work fine. While jigging whatever structure or brush you chose, you really won't do any casting. By the way, I recommend a little longer length, you will gain a little more reach and not have to get as close. Good luck!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944