Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Skinning Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skinning Crappie

I mostly fish for bass (catch & release) but have decided that this winter I'll fish for crappie & other panfish and save up for a nice fish fry. In the end, I want fried fish with a crispy, mouth-watering taste. (little "fish" taste)

That being said, I just finished filleting the first group of slabs. However, either I lack the technique or my blade wasn't sharp enough to remove the skin. I didn't exactly put forth 100% because I didn't want to butcher the fillet. What is the proper technique or easiest way to get the skin off? I'm assumming if I don't want a strong fishy taste, that I should remove the skin at time of fillet instead of time of thaw. Anyways, the fillets are in a freezer bag filled with water (to leave no air in the bag) & I'm going back for some fish tonight. Thanks for the help.

Bear

Post Thanks / Like

The way I’ve always skinned mine when I do the filleting, all I do is leave a little skin attached at the tail when I remove the fillet from the bone side. Then I flip the fillet over and use the tail and the waste part to hold the skin while I run the knife down between the skin and fillet. The knife does have to be sharp and it is a pain if you cut to close to the tail and have to use you finger nail to hold the skin if it the skin breaks off.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Try reading this and see if it helps.
    http://www.thecrappiekiller.com/arti...%20Made%20Easy...
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Bear, you'll have to butcher a few to get the hang of filetting. Even with lots of practice you still goof. Butchered a few myself. Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdi
    Bear, you'll have to butcher a few to get the hang of filetting. Even with lots of practice you still goof. Butchered a few myself. Fred
    So far I have beginner's luck. Course, that's before I try the skinning part.

Post Thanks / Like

Practice Makes Perfect!! You"ll get the hang of it!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com