Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sardis spillway 12/01-03/05

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sardis spillway 12/01-03/05

Last thursday was my birthday what more could a fella ask for than a day fishing. Ha!! Ha!! Maybe catching a few fish on the side would have made it better. Caught a ton of little ones with 10 keepers that ranged anywhere from 11- 13 inch. Most people were catching small ones casting out in the middle with a slow twitch retrive(double jigs) with a occasional large one. I fished the same way most of the morning with no luck. As the day got warmer I started casting straight down the bank slow retrieve with small twitches the closer to the bank as I could get my bobber and jigs the better the fish. Very cold Friday morn and the fish of course not in the same place . One of those days every body else was catching fish but me. So I experimented: I tried hair jigs (caught all fish the day before on) in every color I had. I tried tubes in every color and jig heads in every size I had. I even tried the slip bobber vs. stationery bobber. I varied my retrieves in every method I knew of. I tried minnows and nibbles. I fineally thought it had to be the location where they were catching the fish so I waited them out. When they left I was ready to catch fish.Ha!!!!Ha!!! Same results as before nothing to brag about. Matter of fact two guys came in just before I left as soom as there cork hit the water wham!!!! instant fish. I wasnt skunked but the quality of fish wasnt there for me. Gave my four to the guy dragging them as I left. Sat. went back to casting down the banks landed 9 keepers but still nothing to brag about. Went with a smaller cork and one 1/16th chartruse jig head tied to bottom and a unpainted 1/32th jig above it caught all fish on pumpkin chart. tubes with a nibble on bottom jig. Left my nibbles at home had to borrow. A man was kind enough to let me have a few so at the end of the day I gave him my fish. Dont leave home without them because some days they do make a diffrance, I caught my bigger fish on nibbles just didnt have many to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Default creek fishing

Spawner, do you ever walk the banks this time of year down below spillways? With the way the wind has been blowing lately I was thinking about doing that and was wondering if it was worth the effort. Any tips?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have had better luck doing just that. However I have caught bigger fish casting small bobber and jigs horizontal to bank than vertical casting. Like pops said in a previous thread lighter line also seems to help and smaller jigs with nibbles. Only problem is there only a few spots that I have found that hold fish that bite this way and if its crowded you can forget about casting horizontal. Spillway fishing is something new to me I too would normally be out in my boat jigging or trolling but the low water levels and not to mention that nasty wind has kept me off Sardis main lake. One thing I would add that I have learned you will diffently catch alot of throwbacks the bigger crappie are there just not in numbers yet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I need to be clearer in my question. I'm really asking about away from the spillway where there is no room to cast, at least on Okatibbee below the spillway, too many trees and a lot more down due to Katrina and Rita. It's a pretty small creek. As you say all the folks stay close to the spillway and I'm wanting to get away from the folks. Maybe even walk above the lake someday. Wondering about small creek fishing from the bank. I'm like yoy rather jigpole from my boat but with the wind sometimes get stir-crazy.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve. If you want to make sure you have some fun in those creeks, put yourself some structure in at various points down the creek and remember where they are. Put out stakebeds when the water is low or throw one of those tree tops in there. This way you can get yourself a plan to work your way down the creek, and if the water is up only you will know where your structure is. Usually if the time is right you can cach one or two off of each bed walking down and then hit them again walking back up.

Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sardis spillway

Spawner, as I have said many times, spillway fishing is not a science, it's an art form. Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!

Looks like you are getting the hang of it, don't forget them nibbles!

Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pops
    Spawner, as I have said many times, spillway fishing is not a science, it's an art form. Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!
    Pops, you got that right! I only get down to Sardis once or twice a year
    usually, and have never failed to catch enough to make the grease stink -
    in the "big lake" - but have tried several times in the lower lake (spillway)
    and not the 1st crappie! Something tells me I ain't wigglin my worm right:D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jwhite

Somehow I Can,t See You Wigglin Your Worm....haha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    Somehow I Can,t See You Wigglin Your Worm....haha
    Mr. Frank :D I'm not puttin' my crankbaits in harms way there, if thats what
    you're thinkin! Theres some gar in there bite half your boat off
    I've only tried jigs there, and whatever I'm doin, they sure don't think much
    of it.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

minnnnneeeeerrrrss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast