Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plano box condesation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plano box condesation

My boat has storage slots for Plano boxes and if I leave them in there all the time they get moisture in them. I really don't want to load and unload all of them everytime I go and return from fishing. I was thinking about putting a 1/2 cup of rice scattered in each box but thinking this could get messy. I also thought about drilling a few 1/16 diameter vent holes. Anyone have any suggestions or cures?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Put the rice in small plastic baggies, and prick pin holes in the baggies. Rice will absorb the moisture, without the mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestion. Way back when, my mother always put rice in salt shakers to keep it from clumping in the summertime. No reason to think it wouldn't work as effectively in this application.

THANKS!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know what they are called but they make these gel pack things you hang in damp places and it sucks the moisture in...i will find the name of these...we hang them in our fish/ski boat when we put the cover on and they work great...no moisture or mold yet since using these
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck-tackler View Post
    Put the rice in small plastic baggies, and prick pin holes in the baggies. Rice will absorb the moisture, without the mess.
    Wonder what the wife will say when she finds all the toes cut off her pantyhose!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieKillerJigs View Post
    i dont know what they are called but they make these gel pack things you hang in damp places and it sucks the moisture in...i will find the name of these...we hang them in our fish/ski boat when we put the cover on and they work great...no moisture or mold yet since using these
    I'm not sure if you are trying to remember a specific brand name but the word for what you are describing is desiccant, in you case probably a silica gel type desiccant.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Save up the sillica gel packs from shoes and beef jerky and store em in the tackle boxes

Post Thanks / Like

How much condensation we talking about? Is this sweat from changing temps and humidity in the air or is it a leaking storage box coming up from the bilge or run off from the decks?

If it's sweat, I'd try and cut that down with ventilation and maybe the rice/dessicate route. If it's more water than that, I'd be hunting the source.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    How much condensation we talking about? Is this sweat from changing temps and humidity in the air or is it a leaking storage box coming up from the bilge or run off from the decks?

If it's sweat, I'd try and cut that down with ventilation and maybe the rice/dessicate route. If it's more water than that, I'd be hunting the source.

Wannabe...

It's sweat from changing temps and humidity. Bilge is always dry when I get home from a day on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got at least 500 of those little silica packs in the bottom of my gun safe. I think you can get the big ones from Midway USA Shooters supply or Midsouth Shooter Supply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast